• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Work and Mental Health

B

bangalore

Since having a paranoid psychosis for 2 years in my early 20's, my ability to sustain work has been very painful and I have had breakdowns because of not being able to cope with work. The best way I can explain my condition is that I have no rubber coating on the wires in my brain and i become very ill. I was a taxi driver for 5 years on and off, in the end it became a pattern that i would work for a few weeks then have to stop and then go back this pattern continued until the run of work got less and the times i could not work got more.
I did voluntary work as a youth worker for 3 years and this was ok, but because of the cuts they relied on me to be their and sometime's i had no energy because of the depression i could not go in now and then.
I have been on benefits for over 9 years and i get comment's from some people and it brings me down that i am unable to work. I would like to try to do some voluntary work, but i feel with the DWP being such a punishing organisation, i can not risk doing voluntary work as they might take me off ESA. I do help lots of people in the community and i am blessed to have friends that have a mental health condition. It is a two way street and having a good laugh with my friend that has his own mental condition helps a lot.
I might not ever work again as i am not prepared to make my self ill for the approval of judgemental people in society. The judgement from others and society is a reflection on the people that judge. Your perception of me is not my reality, even my perception of me does not have to be my reality. Those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind!

katya

katya

I'm so sorry you're having to face all of this shit from people who don't know what the bloody hell they're talking about.

People are very quick to judge depression, but anyone who's actually suffered from it would never treat anyone like that.

Please remember it's not your fault that you can't work, and that you're doing a lot of good in your community by being there for other people.

I'm currently working and I'm glad my tax money is spent supporting the people who really need it.

:hug1:

RichieSmiles

RichieSmiles

I'm currently working and I'm glad my tax money is spent supporting the people who really need it.

:hug1:
I LOVE that.

Do not let people's thoughts/judgement of you be the focal point as to why you feel low. Remember, as jruth said, people will judge you without understanding what you're facing or going through; making THOSE people arrogant.

If you're receiving comments from arrogant people - do you really care? I wouldn't. As long as those around me understand and support my situation, that's all that matters. Believe in yourself and the community which surrounds you and, as long as YOU know what is happening, who cares what other people think?