• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Work and disability

D

donohio60

I have been on SSDI for mental illness since 2014. I am fortunate that I worked 25 plus years and get a bit more each month than some, but not nearly what I need. I am surviving. It seems as if the system is against people in this position. I would like to get a part time job to help with expenses, and to help with my mental health as well, but if I work too many hours or make over a certain amount then the help that I get with my high medical bills will stop. I have found it nearly impossible to find part time that will work for my situation. Employers are turned off pretty quickly when you tell them that you want minimal hours. I don't know where to look anymore. Has anyone else dealt with this? What did you try?

Hello513

Hello513

My billion dollar high tech malibu mansion
I have been on SSDI for mental illness since 2014. I am fortunate that I worked 25 plus years and get a bit more each month than some, but not nearly what I need. I am surviving. It seems as if the system is against people in this position. I would like to get a part time job to help with expenses, and to help with my mental health as well, but if I work too many hours or make over a certain amount then the help that I get with my high medical bills will stop. I have found it nearly impossible to find part time that will work for my situation. Employers are turned off pretty quickly when you tell them that you want minimal hours. I don't know where to look anymore. Has anyone else dealt with this? What did you try?
I have been searching for a job recently on the program called ticket to work for disabled people. Its a program that helps you find employment, and if part time is what you need they an help with that. Maybe you could see if there are some programs in your area.

D

donohio60

Thank you for your response. I know that the rules for working that Social Security has limits me to working/making under a certain dollar amount. That would be pretty easy for me to do. The issue comes from my getting separate help from the state I live in to help pay for my medical coverage. That limit is much less than the one for SS. That makes it much harder to find something with not many hours. What happens is that if I make over that limit, I lose the help I get from the state I'm in and that would result in me using all of the money from the part time job to pay for my medical on my own. So... that is the part that makes it so difficult. I want to get out a couple of days a week but it is so hard to find. Thanks again!

D

donohio60

I have been searching for a job recently on the program called ticket to work for disabled people. Its a program that helps you find employment, and if part time is what you need they an help with that. Maybe you could see if there are some programs in your area.
I have been hesitant to try the ticket to work program. Even though they say it won't affect your SS at all I feel like it will put me on their radar much more for a review. I may be wrong but my anxiety tell me differently. haha I haven't found an agency locally that can help with this. I am hoping that something will come up with limited hours soon.

Hello513

Hello513

My billion dollar high tech malibu mansion
I have been hesitant to try the ticket to work program. Even though they say it won't affect your SS at all I feel like it will put me on their radar much more for a review. I may be wrong but my anxiety tell me differently. haha I haven't found an agency locally that can help with this. I am hoping that something will come up with limited hours soon.
Actually from what I have been told they don't review your case while you are in the ticket to work program. Though the same rules apply for income where once you get a job they may take your benefits away if you make a certain amount.

R

rawlinsc

I had something similar happen. I lost my insurance from the govt because I made too much money for the income limit. I got my hours cut at work to be under the income limit. I'm lucky I work at a job where I set my own hours and schedule. I reapplied and got the insurance back. Problem is I have debt from when I didn't have the insurance.

D

Deleted member 72467

I'm on only SSI as I applied for disability too late to get SSDI. I was told I had five years. I spend 4 1/2 trying to recuperate (long story) and then applied and while I was waiting for an answer the government kept counting. Got a letter saying, times up.

I wouldn't trust the government at all with any program they claim to have.

S

squizofrenia123

I wanted to be on disability in the USA but was told I can work by my psychdoc as long as I take my meds. So, here I am all alone in another country working. I'm doing ok but am walking on egg shells when I hear voices. I don't know but sometimes wonder if hearing voices is a disability because I was told otherwise. I think I'm disabled but have to put a false front at work and pretend I am not. Life is a sham at times. But, I shall survive!