• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Work and Depression

B

BigSport

I'm a former semi professional sportsperson who studied at 2 Universities to serve as a back up when my sports career ended.

Unfortunately, I've never been able to hold down a job for much more than a year before things disintegrated due to my depression.

I've struggled with binge drinking. Ended up in hospital a number of times.

I've been married one year and I've done everything I can to turn my life around for the sake of my relationship with my wife.

My main concern is finding a good paying job that doesn't make my depression worse.

I'm starting to scive off work and curl up at home.

I'm extremely embarrassed and feel I have nothing to live for.

I absolutely HATE myself.

I've tried counselling for 6months.
I've been prescribed citalopram.
I've been to careers advisors.

I can't find a way to make things better.

I'm also scared stiff at the prospect of starting a family. I don't think I could cope as a Dad.

I feel people expect a lot of me because I'm a big, sporty guy.

Any advice welcome.

S

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi BigSport, :welcome: to the forum.

I am just wondering if the depression might be due to having to retire from your sport. I would imagine doing a regular job would be quite a bit of a shock to the system and in comparison might seem quite monotonous without the obvious incentives you would have had training etc

You say you've been to careers advisors etc maybe something like Life Coaching might be more helpful?

Sorry I am not good on the advice but wanted to welcome you anyway, I hope others will be able to help. x

B

BigSport

Hi TC.

No....depression caused my retirement from Sport. I'm 33 now and am still able to compete but choose not to. I dislike too many people and competing in Scotland makes me miserable.

I've been to Life Coaching, read Tony Robbins, Deepak Chopra, Paul McKenna.....anything I could get my hands on.

Brian Moore, former England Rugby Captain, wrote in his Autobiography, retired Sportsmen/women should be set up with a counsellor to adjust to normal society.....I agree with him.

One day your abroad competing in a beautiful country representing Great Britain the next minute your back home working in a mundane job.

I have never really been passionate about any job, especially when I was a personal trainer.

I'm 6ft 4 and very strong. Only when I was around other elite Athletes did I get a buzz out of being in the gym

Now I can't even be bothered to train at all.

I've arranged to see a psychiatrist because I feel one day I'll just snap!

I've lost my identity and my purpose in life.

No goals, no ambition.

Just want to live in a house in the country away from everyone.

S

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Can relate to wanting to live in a house in the country away from everyone :hug:

I don't know, it is difficult. Not everyone has a life's passion or is able to realise their dreams, a lot of jobs are very monotonous, for some reason most people seem to cope with this.

I don't know how or why, maybe they use alcohol or tobacco or food or maybe they keep going for their kids or maybe they have really good friends and family they enjoy spending time with outside of work or hobbies etc that their job funds.

I hope you are able to find something that helps you, maybe when your mood lifts it will be easier to think of something you would like for your life. x