• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Wondering if i should see a doctor if i am bipolar

A

arakai88

Tldr:have big highs(not happy) and then very depressive lows. Only can describe it as manic. Happens when under stress not sure if its because of underlying condition or stress.

I dont have diagnosed bipolar and wouldnt say I am bipolar because I'm not diagnosed. My sister has bipolar type 2 I think(the lesser one).
Recently I've had alot of stress going on and I've been having frequent mood swings that I could only describe as manic states. I go on this high where I've got lots of energy but I'm not happy but I am just smiling and it's so unpleasant I'm jsut super energetic I cant give a good explanation this can last between 30 mins to 5 hours. Then im on a low where I have no energy and just feel really depressed and angry and upset and wanting to die( not inherently suicidal). This happens anytime I'm under alot of stress and has only started in the last year or so but I've only noticed it recently.
I'm not sure if it's just cuz of the strees or its because of an underlying condition.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hi Arakai, welcome to the forums.
It sounds like what you have been experiencing is worth looking into. Do you think you could visit your sisters psychiatrist to see what they have to say?

M

markprosso538

I'm not a dr, and I would say if you have any bad feeling about one you do go to, don't let it deter you. Some just listen for 5 minutes, when you try to explain certain things they don't care and just want you to shut up or say it's just a phase, you're just stressed out. But I think there are some good ones out there, I hope. I was diagnosed bi polar 2 by one and major depressive disorder by another, this current one says its just cause of covid without having my medical history. I'm quite fed up with them honestly.

Is it mania or anxiety? Some people mix up the two. Because if someone has a lot of anxiety they could look manic or act out in some way to get that anxiety out of them. There's also borderline personality disorder which also has mood swings, mental health categories overlap eachother. If it's pretty new, it could be stress, but it's worth talking to a dr. Diet and sleep also have huge impacts on mood. It's like a spiral, if someone can't sleep cause of their mood, then their mood gets worse cuz they're not sleeping. Also caffeine, do you notice you're drinking a lot of caffeeine when you get excited? There is also kind of a crash after a few hours too, can cause minor mood swings. When i'm hyper (I'll use hyper cuz not sure if I'm really bi polar) I'll only sleep a few hours a night, sometimes not at all. It's just like adrenaline coursing through me and want to do things.

The technical diagnosis (I think) for BP2 is mania lasting longer than 4 days. But I'm sure they make exceptions too. If you go, let us know what they say.

Good Luck.

L

luvyrself

The rapid mood fluctuation might be from mixed states, which I experience. In stressful periods, I can be hypomanic and depressive at the same time. That is, bouncing back and forth between feeling up or down. I am bipolar 2 and have been for decades.