Women & Theatre would like feedback about Comedy Course Idea

M

MayandJune

Hi, Women & Theatre are applying for funding from Time To Change (let's end mental health discrimination) to roll out our comedy courses further bringing together people with lived experiences of mental health problems and those without. We would like to create an arena in which we can encourage meaningful conversations to break down barriers around mental health problems. The courses are delivered over 6 weeks, culminating in a Community Comedy evening where work is performed in a friendly and supportive environment, followed by sharing food.

We successfully delivered a comedy course to people with low levels of anxiety and depression and it worked really well. We would now like to get feedback from anyone on the forum about this idea and appreciate any comments about what you think - what do you like about this idea? What part of it do you think we might struggle with? Would you like to be involved? How do you think we could get people involved?

If we are successful there are a number of ways in which people can get involved - through going on the comedy courses, but also through the steering group to drive the project forward. The comedy courses would give opportunities to also take part in 'open mic' spots in comedy clubs in the City and there is potential to be part of a short national tour.

M

MayandJune

Hi, that's brilliant - just to say though that the courses are aimed at both men and women so all welcome! Any thoughts on the comedy course - hurdles, positives etc?

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Okay. I'm a man and I want to be involved.

I can't think of any shortcomings to this. From a personal point of view I'd be wanting to rip the piss out of psychiatry as offensively as I could muster. Would that be considered too risque?

K

Katss

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Okay. I'm a man and I want to be involved.

I can't think of any shortcomings to this. From a personal point of view I'd be wanting to rip the piss out of psychiatry as offensively as I could muster. Would that be considered too risque?
Are you saying that my pyschiatrist is crap? She would be extremely and very, very upset if she knew....Was thinking of taking you on as well, very apt humour (her words).

Pom

K

Katss

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Am there already. where is the money. need any help fundraising. oh NO, sharing food, am out.

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Are you saying that my pyschiatrist is crap? She would be extremely and very, very upset if she knew....Was thinking of taking you on as well, very apt humour (her words).

Pom
Every female psychiatrist I've encountered has been so sexy I've had to struggle not to entice them to break the Hippocratic Oath in ways never previously attempted during NHS working hours.

Psychiatry is not a psychiatrist - sacred cows are prime meat for satire. ;)

Hopefully May&June spring back in here.

K

Katss

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The top psychiatrist is delighted by the current news and glad for the correction in psychiatry vs being a psychiatrist. Breaking the oath, care to share....... and ya M&J super edition to events.

Poppyshakespere

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
For anyone interested, here's a few bits and bobs on Women & Theatre (& Men Welcome Too!).

Here's a photo of May and June. I don't know who is May and who is June but they look approachable and Brummy, two generally interchangeable terms.

http://www.womenandtheatre.co.uk/wp...er/send_media.php?id=133&width=500&height=500

They have received numerous awards including an accolade from GlaxoSmithKline, one of the leading stars in the marketing of toxic drugs to children. This company this year settled a lawsuit in the USA for about $1.2billion in criminal and civil fines for fraudulently marketing Paxil (a brand name for paroxetine), an SSRI drug with a heavy risk and effect profile, to children. Prosecutors claimed GlaxoSmithKline employed several tactics aimed at promoting the unlawful use of the drug in children, including helping to publish a medical journal article that misreported data from a clinical trial.

$1.2billion sounds like a big blow, but as in every other one of these regular cases of fraud and deception, it hardly bites into profits. At the time of the settlement Paxil had already raked in over $11billion in profits. Cool beans.

Something tells me Women & Theatre are not aware of these issues. Something also tells me they would not welcome truthful comedy about psychiatry or pharmacology or the drugging of children.

They say

We would like to create an arena in which we can encourage meaningful conversations to break down barriers around mental health problems.
My hunch is that's grant-application-speak and they intend nothing of the sort.

Although old men with tardive dyskinesia induced by psychiatric drugs can be fun to laugh at in a friendly and supportive environment, don't you think?

Only joking of course lol

Last edited:
rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Women & Theatre have made a dramatic exit followed by the funding bear of questionable ethic?

come back ladies.

I have a new idea for a comedy skit that looks at the funny side of neuroleptic malignant syndrome and the hilarity of akathisia. i'll have them rolling in the aisles when we look at the pathologisation of normal childhood behaviours and the psychiatrising of normal reactions to abusive relationships.

even had this idea of pretending to be a drug dealer selling amphetamine to kids. fucking hilarious, ladies.

ladies?

McMurphy's Ghost

McMurphy's Ghost

As this is mainly for wimmin what about a skit involving a vivacious young girl who is turned into a fat dribbling wreak with metabolic sydrome by her antispychotic??? The fun starts when she begins to think her boyfriend doesn't fancy her anymore. And here is the funny bit....he actually just has erectile disfunction disorder caused by his SSRI antidepressanat....hillarious!
That should really get them rolling in the aisles

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yes. Utterly hilarious. Women Wot Is In Theatre And Wot Do Welcome Men must be overwhelmed with the comedy material theyve tapped into.

Ha ha - look, here's comes the Comedy CTO - better pull your pants down for the needle in your bum hahahahahahahaha too much, really too much lol lol

McMurphy's Ghost

McMurphy's Ghost

Yes. Utterly hilarious. Women Wot Is In Theatre And Wot Do Welcome Men must be overwhelmed with the comedy material theyve tapped into.

Ha ha - look, here's comes the Comedy CTO - better pull your pants down for the needle in your bum hahahahahahahaha too much, really too much lol lol
It's all about a little prick with a needle!!! Get it!!! A little prick....with a needle:LOL: