Without Intrusive Thoughts, I Literally Don't Know What To Think!!! What To Do?

R

Ramson bangers

I would strongly disagree but thats due to different experience. I would still like to discover and talk more about this subject and will try to find the right place.

C

Camlo

Hey Camlo,

I'm really learning that yes, believe it or not, most people's minds are clear a lot of the time if not most of the time.

Hard to believe I know.

This also started for me when I was a kid, but I'm learning that I don't actually need one obsession/rumination in order to get rid of another one. You just have to believe me on this. :)
Its amazing as it seems like such a foreign thing to not do obessions and compulsions and to have a clean mind. This will take some getting used to but it feels like such a huge relief to finally be getting on top of it and not continueing to be a slave to the OCD.

You are 100% right. You don't need one obsession/compulsion to get rid of another. You feel as if you need one compulsion or obsession to resolve another and every time you nearly get it resolved the OCD simply raises the bar in which you define certainty and resolution reguarding the content of the thoughts and so the cycle continues and once your in it it's hard to break out of the loop.

Hard to believe yes. Possible to overcome hell yes!

"Trying to resolve thoughts with more thoughts is like trying to bite your own teeth" a quote by one of my favorite philopshers alan watts!

N

NorasDad

Its amazing as it seems like such a foreign thing to not do obessions and compulsions and to have a clean mind. This will take some getting used to but it feels like such a huge relief to finally be getting on top of it and not continueing to be a slave to the OCD.

You are 100% right. You don't need one obsession/compulsion to get rid of another. You feel as if you need one compulsion or obsession to resolve another and every time you nearly get it resolved the OCD simply raises the bar in which you define certainty and resolution reguarding the content of the thoughts and so the cycle continues and once your in it it's hard to break out of the loop.

Hard to believe yes. Possible to overcome hell yes!

"Trying to resolve thoughts with more thoughts is like trying to bite your own teeth" a quote by one of my favorite philopshers alan watts!
I'm so pleased that you are having success.

For my own part, I'm hitting an obstacle. Maybe you have some insight.

I still will get thoughts that just sort of "take over" my mind. They might even be about real situations I have to work on, but they get all out of proportion and just stop me doing things. I don't know how to "let the thought happen" when the thought seems to have a life of its own and I have things to do!

Any thoughts (hehe)?

C

Camlo

I'm so pleased that you are having success.

For my own part, I'm hitting an obstacle. Maybe you have some insight.

I still will get thoughts that just sort of "take over" my mind. They might even be about real situations I have to work on, but they get all out of proportion and just stop me doing things. I don't know how to "let the thought happen" when the thought seems to have a life of its own and I have things to do!

Any thoughts (hehe)?
Hey I know what you mean. It's easy to count your chickens before they hatch. I've run into that recently aswell.

Once the thoughts gain momentum it can be hard to stop like a rolling freight train. The key here is to not try and stop them. When you try to suppress them they gain more momentum. I would try to look into mindfullness. What i read was that if you imagine your thoughts like a line of train careidges and your just standing at the train station waiting for the train. People with ocd tend to stop these train cartridges (thoughts) to make sure everyone on board had a ticket (to check the thoughts). By letting the thoughts happen I think it means not to stop them. By stopping the thoughts and trying to resolve/suppress them the ocd is only going to raise the bar for which you define resolution. So try to say well I cannot have certainty reguarding these thoughts. I don't know whether these things that im thinking will happen - They might happen but they might not. This probably then makes you feel uncomfortable/uneasy/anxious. That's the key! That's the awful feeling that you are avoiding. Now be in the presence of that feeling while resisting the urge to do that compulsion (repeating, organizing suppressing, dissmissing, fighting) you are training your brain to get used to the uncertainty.

That feeling is one of the worst things and its really hard to get used to. I dont know about you but this is where i get the emptiness and not knowing what to think.

I would like to recomned a book. I'm currently working through a workbook called minfullnes and CBT for ocd. It's AMAZING. Its Quite literally changing my life. You take a look through and realize how much of your mind is dominated by OCD.

On the other hand I know what you mean. The thoughts can be so powerful and overwhelming.

Not sure if this helps at all ✌ Take it easy mate

N

NorasDad

Hey I know what you mean. It's easy to count your chickens before they hatch. I've run into that recently aswell.

Once the thoughts gain momentum it can be hard to stop like a rolling freight train. The key here is to not try and stop them. When you try to suppress them they gain more momentum. I would try to look into mindfullness. What i read was that if you imagine your thoughts like a line of train careidges and your just standing at the train station waiting for the train. People with ocd tend to stop these train cartridges (thoughts) to make sure everyone on board had a ticket (to check the thoughts). By letting the thoughts happen I think it means not to stop them. By stopping the thoughts and trying to resolve/suppress them the ocd is only going to raise the bar for which you define resolution. So try to say well I cannot have certainty reguarding these thoughts. I don't know whether these things that im thinking will happen - They might happen but they might not. This probably then makes you feel uncomfortable/uneasy/anxious. That's the key! That's the awful feeling that you are avoiding. Now be in the presence of that feeling while resisting the urge to do that compulsion (repeating, organizing suppressing, dissmissing, fighting) you are training your brain to get used to the uncertainty.

That feeling is one of the worst things and its really hard to get used to. I dont know about you but this is where i get the emptiness and not knowing what to think.

I would like to recomned a book. I'm currently working through a workbook called minfullnes and CBT for ocd. It's AMAZING. Its Quite literally changing my life. You take a look through and realize how much of your mind is dominated by OCD.

On the other hand I know what you mean. The thoughts can be so powerful and overwhelming.

Not sure if this helps at all ✌ Take it easy mate

Wow, this is awesome. You know I'm trying not to let the "OCD Internet" become a rabbit hole, but there is just so much value to replies like this!!! Please recommend the book. OCD has just trained me that I have to jump on the train. This standing by the tracks is a weird sensation for us, but that's essentially impossible to explain to a non-OCD person. For them, the trackside is the norm and getting on the train is the exception.

I think part of my problem with therapy has always been the implicit assumption on the part of therapists that I would see "intrusive" thoughts as intrusive. To me, they're just thoughts. Yes, of course I have my own private terminology (which I'm sure you would understand immediately) to distinguish among different intensities of obsession, rumination and compulsion, but how does that conversation even start with a normal person?

In my experience, if you lay bare your OCD life you get a lot of uncomfortable looks and shifting of the feet.

C

Camlo

Wow, this is awesome. You know I'm trying not to let the "OCD Internet" become a rabbit hole, but there is just so much value to replies like this!!! Please recommend the book. OCD has just trained me that I have to jump on the train. This standing by the tracks is a weird sensation for us, but that's essentially impossible to explain to a non-OCD person. For them, the trackside is the norm and getting on the train is the exception.

I think part of my problem with therapy has always been the implicit assumption on the part of therapists that I would see "intrusive" thoughts as intrusive. To me, they're just thoughts. Yes, of course I have my own private terminology (which I'm sure you would understand immediately) to distinguish among different intensities of obsession, rumination and compulsion, but how does that conversation even start with a normal person?

In my experience, if you lay bare your OCD life you get a lot of uncomfortable looks and shifting of the feet.
I find that it can be hard to connect with people who have OCD because it's not often something that you hear of other then the people who joke about being clean. So atleast a platform like this offers us some sort of way to connect.

I see what you mean and honestly its so confusing what goes on in our minds. Like you said we all have our own private terminology but how it works for a normal person beats me! The "urge" to do a compulsion is the hard part. The mental compulsions like reviewing, suppressing, solving, organizing, mentally rehearsal and thought nuterlization is hard. It's just so hard to leave those thoughts "unresolved". I often wonder if people think something once and then carry on with life to think it again later when its more relivent because it seems atleast for us like every thought needs to be jumped on, theres that urge to do that compulsion. And when the compulsion is not done it seems great(and uncomfortable) but there is also "no content" as you said in your original post nothing seems important because what has always been important has been resolving the obsessions/compulsions. And of course people without ocd over think etc from time to time but i cannot distinguish what a normal thought/over thinking is.

Still struggling with this clear mind thing, its really gonna take some time to get used to.