Without Intrusive Thoughts, I Literally Don't Know What To Think!!! What To Do?

N

NorasDad

Hi All,

First, I want to thank everyone on this forum. It has totally saved me. I've been in the dark about my OCD for over 40 years - basically as long as I can remember.

I recently saw an excellent video about rumination. I'll post it later today.

Essentially, I didn't know there was another way to think. I felt compelled to ruminate about EVERYTHING.

So now that I've seen through that compulsion, my mind is clearer than it's ever been. However, it also seems empty. I don't know why to do things without rumination. Basically I have only acted on intrusive thoughts for decades. Until I think something that causes me to worry and ruminate, I ignore my thoughts. A rumination will be along so soon that there's no point. The OCD was in charge completely.

So now I'm completely at a loss. Nothing seems important because for me "important" has always meant something that I ruminate intensely about. People have never understood that whatever I was making a priority at that moment had been SCREAMING at me for hours (or would soon).

So now what? I mean I feel better, but I'm very confused.

Thoughts?

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

Your subconscious mind has been dominating your conscious mind for all these decades, & that's exactly what anxiety is, it makes you think that OCD is appropriate when you know consciously that it isn't, & when you don't act on the obsessive behaviour, your subconscious mind will scream at you until you do.

& that's why anxiety and OCD can be overcome, when the realisation sets in that your subconsious mind cannot actually force you to act in the way you do, the screaming will eventually subside & one day go away completely, & then your mind will be empty, & that's the cure.

So, it seems to me that you are cured, & it will be confusing, it will take a while to get used to it, but then you can realise your full potential without anxiety.

N

NorasDad

Your subconscious mind has been dominating your conscious mind for all these decades, & that's exactly what anxiety is, it makes you think that OCD is appropriate when you know consciously that it isn't, & when you don't act on the obsessive behaviour, your subconscious mind will scream at you until you do.

& that's why anxiety and OCD can be overcome, when the realisation sets in that your subconsious mind cannot actually force you to act in the way you do, the screaming will eventually subside & one day go away completely, & then your mind will be empty, & that's the cure.

So, it seems to me that you are cured, & it will be confusing, it will take a while to get used to it, but then you can realise your full potential without anxiety.

Ok, so do you think it's ok for my mind to feel sort of "empty" for a while?

Is the idea that rational thoughts will start seeming more important to me over time?

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

I'm no expert on anxiety, but I do know that's it's possible your mind will be empty for good, there's something called 'rebound anxiety', where your subconscious mind won't admit that it's been defeated and will try to dominate you again, but that should only be intermittent & last a year or 2 at the most.

Ironically, people who have overcome anxiety can experience better lives than one in which they never even suffered in the first place. Rational & relaxing behaviour takes a whole new meaning, when people are so used to it, they get stuck in a rut in life, & just carry on with the same routine until they die, but people who aren't used to it for years, the new experience of rational & relaxing behaviour can open up a new world to them.

N

NorasDad

I'm no expert on anxiety, but I do know that's it's possible your mind will be empty for good, there's something called 'rebound anxiety', where your subconscious mind won't admit that it's been defeated and will try to dominate you again, but that should only be intermittent & last a year or 2 at the most.

Ironically, people who have overcome anxiety can experience better lives than one in which they never even suffered in the first place. Rational & relaxing behaviour takes a whole new meaning, when people are so used to it, they get stuck in a rut in life, & just carry on with the same routine until they die, but people who aren't used to it for years, the new experience of rational & relaxing behaviour can open up a new world to them.
Wow, you know just what to say to an old lunatic. :)

I can't thank you enough. That really made me feel better.

S

Skynet

Hi All,

First, I want to thank everyone on this forum. It has totally saved me. I've been in the dark about my OCD for over 40 years - basically as long as I can remember.

Essentially, I didn't know there was another way to think. I felt compelled to ruminate about EVERYTHING.

So now that I've seen through that compulsion, my mind is clearer than it's ever been. However, it also seems empty. I don't know why to do things without rumination. Basically I have only acted on intrusive thoughts for decades. Until I think something that causes me to worry and ruminate, I ignore my thoughts. A rumination will be along so soon that there's no point. The OCD was in charge completely.

So now I'm completely at a loss. Nothing seems important because for me "important" has always meant something that I ruminate intensely about. People have never understood that whatever I was making a priority at that moment had been SCREAMING at me for hours (or would soon).

Thoughts?
Your mind is supposed to be clear; some people spend years meditating trying to reach that goal. Now that you're not constantly interrupted by intrusive thoughts, you're probably more productive; see if you can put that to good use at home and at work.

N

NorasDad

Your mind is supposed to be clear; some people spend years meditating trying to reach that goal. Now that you're not constantly interrupted by intrusive thoughts, you're probably more productive; see if you can put that to good use at home and at work.
Yeah, but how am I going to work if I don't ruminate about what I'm supposed to do and analyze the theoretically best way it should be done and what compromises I can make to that process without harming the quality of the final product?

:cool:

God, I wish I was kidding.

P

Patricialynn7

Hi All,

Thoughts?
What you said reminded me of Mental Health professionals I worked with, who were very nice, but what was happening is everything I said was “OCD and I don’t answer that.” And I remember just staying quiet and not speaking.

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

Hi @NorasDad

You were held as a hostage by your OCD. Now, you are free with no boundaries. Let your mind be where it feels comfortable and relaxing. Find things to occupy the emptiness that was left behind with activities, hobbies, fun time with your family and friends, reading and so on.

After my fight with intrusive thoughts and thank god they are almost gone, I had the same feeling as you the first week I noticed improvements. During that time and still now, I am catching up with friends and family that I couldn’t talk to before. I started going out. I got back in my home studio that I couldn’t enter since October of last year year. I am finishing projects and sessions that have been abandoned due to my depression and anxiety.

I feel alive again.
I also want to thank you and everyone else that helped me come through and cleared the confusion that I faced during the healing process.

N

NorasDad

Patricialyn, I hear you. I prided myself on being a 70's therapy culture guy who could admit anything. Did I ever talk to anybody about what my day was like? Ever? Not a chance.

That's really why I wrote this thread and thank you so much for responding.

Hopeful, once again you show me what this forum is all about. I've benefitted so much. Thank you.

S

Shapeshift

This post exactly sums up my situation. Thank you for posting it.

C

Camlo

Hi guys it's my first post here. I'm also in the process of getting better. I've had OCD since I was a kid and I'm now 22. I managed to wave goodbye to most of the physical OCD symtoms when I was in my late teens but only recently discovered how much my mental landscape was dominated but obsession and compulsions. Currently working through it and although it's a slow process I'm getting better wirh CBT and mindfulness.

However it seems that my whole notion of thinking has been based on obsessing repeating and ruminating about every little tiny thing and now I don't know what to think about. It's as if I don't even know what a "normal" thought is. When my mind is empty there's so much space and room in there and I don't know what to do with it or where to direct it. Certainly confusing.

So NorasDad I completely understand but I guess it takes some time to get used to. After all in a way it's like your brain has been rewired?

Anyway I just want to say thanks for the useful in formation that you guys have posted. I just stumbled across your post and thought woah that's me. I was starting to think hmm is it just me or what?

N

NorasDad

Hey Camlo,

I'm really learning that yes, believe it or not, most people's minds are clear a lot of the time if not most of the time.

Hard to believe I know.

This also started for me when I was a kid, but I'm learning that I don't actually need one obsession/rumination in order to get rid of another one. You just have to believe me on this. :)

R

Ramson bangers

Some see it as an awakening. You learn more about the subconcious ideas and recognise how you can harness both realms of your psyche. Live on two levels of understanding. The subconscious you are aware of its dangers. I had a discovery about abstract beauty which was jawdropping to say the least and how such ideas can be dangerous without being obvious.

R

Ramson bangers

Ego is involved. It gets shredded and then we see our true selves.

N

NorasDad

Some see it as an awakening. You learn more about the subconcious ideas and recognise how you can harness both realms of your psyche. Live on two levels of understanding. The subconscious you are aware of its dangers. I had a discovery about abstract beauty which was jawdropping to say the least and how such ideas can be dangerous without being obvious.
I'm hearing you and I am inclined to agree.

That said, I am really becoming less and less persuaded by the concept of the subconscious.

Clearly, parts of our brain that can't "talk" directly influence our mood and actions. However, when I started looking at the world through an OCD lens, I really dropped the notion of the subconscious as a developed "second self". OCD has a simple need for attention and that's really all it has. The substance of the thoughts doesn't really matter. It's about the way you think rather than what you think.

To that end, some therapists are recommending that people re-channel their OCD into more positive directions. Rather than have your OCD fill you with abject fear if you don't do the compulsions, etc. that develop organically in the OCD process, the idea is to accept that you think that way and put that intense focus on problems worthy of all that mental energy.

Most importantly, I think the concept is not to pursue questions without answers. OCD doesn't want an answer, it wants to worry. I'm trying this and I'll tell you how it goes.

R

Ramson bangers

I'm hearing you and I am inclined to agree.

That said, I am really becoming less and less persuaded by the concept of the subconscious.

Clearly, parts of our brain that can't "talk" directly influence our mood and actions. However, when I started looking at the world through an OCD lens, I really dropped the notion of the subconscious as a developed "second self". OCD has a simple need for attention and that's really all it has. The substance of the thoughts doesn't really matter. It's about the way you think rather than what you think.

To that end, some therapists are recommending that people re-channel their OCD into more positive directions. Rather than have your OCD fill you with abject fear if you don't do the compulsions, etc. that develop organically in the OCD process, the idea is to accept that you think that way and put that intense focus on problems worthy of all that mental energy.

Most importantly, I think the concept is not to pursue questions without answers. OCD doesn't want an answer, it wants to worry. I'm trying this and I'll tell you how it goes.
Please do, i found that very interesting i must say my subconscious doesnt allow me to worry too much. I have heard such things as, the best way to actually kill the ego (which will be reborn) is to find a subconscious means to do it. The dangers are increased, for example some would consider such things as witchcraft when the realise the levels involved not to mention the fact there are literally no words to describe it but the results can be interesting.

N

NorasDad

I think Jordan Peterson is more than a little bit of a charlatan.