withdrawl Symptoms

M

Mad Chick

Hello, I'm new to this site and want to pick anyone out there's brains about withdrawl from Venlafaxine.
I have been on this drug on and off_more on than off- for about 9 years, the couple of times I have weaned off it before I have had some withdrawl symptoms but nothing like I am experiencing this time.
I have reduced my dose from 225mg down to nothing, taking about 8 weeks to do so and reducing in very small amounts untill I was taking just two half 37.5mg tablets twice daily and then just one half tablet once daily.
I finally had my last half tablet last Friday and the feelings of dizzyness, disorientation, tingling and nausea have been really bad.
My question is...how much longer can I expect these symptoms to go on for, has anybody out there had similar experiences and if so how long did yours last???
Here's hoping someone can help.xx
P.S. Mood wise I'm feeling ok:)

B

Bippidee

I found coming off Venlafaxine hideous. 8 weeks sounds quite fast to come off it - I definitely did it over a longer period than that, and was taking it alternate days at the end. Were you feeling bad whilst you were doing it, or not until you stopped? Don't really have any advice - I guess you just have to stick it out until it is out your system, and go see your GP if it gets really problematic. It is such a nasty drug to come off though! Hope you feel better soon.

M

Mad Chick

Re. withdrawl

Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I was feeling completely ok untill I got down to 37.5 twice daily, funnily enough it was the switch from modified release caps to the 37.5mg tablets that probably started the symptoms, I guess the change in release and the half life of the drug would have made a change.
I just dont know how long to expect to feel so dizzy. I work in a pahrmacy but funnily enough I know more about this than most of the pharmacists do!!! so no good asking them for advice.
Tried getting hold of someone from my old CMHT but didn't even get a reply!!
Anyway thanks again for your help.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi there ,just a thought are you doing this with the help of MH team or on your own.If you are suffering you should tell whoever is monitering you.It may be that you need to take a little bit longer

Hope it eases soon

M

Mad Chick

withdrawl

Hi Daffy,
Its okay I'm under the Dr whilst I'm doing this. It came about as a last ditch attempt to solve a long-term sexual dysfunction problem I have.
As you know anti-deps can and do cause loss of libido and in my case its been causing problems for a while. Tried a variety of things which did nothing so trying without meds!!!
Since my last withdrawl(which was to try Duloxetine) I have felt that maybe it was time to see if I could cope without the meds....watch this space.
But don't worry my GP is on board and has been instructing me on how to reduce.
Thanks for your concern, I only wish I'd found your site ages ago 'cos its good to chat to other people who have similar experiences.

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Sorry to hear you're having trouble coming off venlafaxine, I did that back in October-November time but I was very lucky not to have withdrawal symptoms because I did come off quite quickly. It probably helped that I went straight on to citalopram.

As far as the sexual dysfunction is concerned, if you find yourself in need of meds then ask to try mirtazapine, I'm on that now and find it makes things even better than usual!

M

Mad Chick

withdrawl update

Hi everyone
Today is the first day when I can really say that I feel not to bad . Yesterday was awful, culminating in having bad shakes, bad dizziness and feelings in my head that I cant really describe, just weird feelings, it was awful and it just got worse as the day went on. However today I feel so much better:clap:
All I have to do now is NOT go downhill.
Every time before when I have tried to go it without some for of meds in the end things have gone wrong and thats been the way its been for most of the last 22 years, but here goes. Quite a few things are different in my life now and if I've got a chance of doing it, as far as I can see now's the time.
Mood wise I feel absolutely fine but I probably would because nothing awful has happened in my life in the last 8 weeks, wonder how I'll hold up if/when it does.
Thanx for listening.x:)

oneday

oneday

Withdrawal and reduction from meds - resources

Hi Mad chick - glad things are going better today (and that you've got support from your doctor - not everyone is offered that kind of support, as you probably know).

Might be late to post this info, and I've posted most of it elsewhere, but in case it's still useful to you, and/or anyone else coming off or reducing psychiatric drugs, or thinking about it. I used to work for a user/survivor run information project, and, as we would have a lot of questions about medication, including withdrawal, so the following is based on information I gleaned there.

I'm not medically qualified and I haven’t withdrawn from this drug myself (you can see own my story of coming through psychosis and depression without drugs under the ‘Introduce yourself’ section ‘introducing…. oneday’), but it's my best understanding that a slow and steady withdrawal from most psychiatric drugs is the best idea, giving your mind and body time to adjust and less chance of adverse withdrawal reactions.

It's advised that anyone deciding to withdraw to plan it properly and not do it too suddenly, and the longer you've been on the drug the more important to take it gradually. For anyone deciding to come off or reduce psychiatric drugs I'd suggest:

- check out the two online resources below;
- read around the subject and plan well;
- get support (friends, family, other people who have done it, and from professionals if you can).
- find something to replace the role of the drug in your life - e.g. counselling or therapy or a support group to help you understand and cope with the feelings and thoughts that might arise now they are no longer affected by the drug.

Useful online resources:

1) The 'Coming Off Psychiatric Medication' website: www.comingoff.com (it's put together by professionals and service users/survivors, including survivor/ psychologist Rufus May). You'll find a link there to a very good downloadable booklet from the Icarus Project in the States.

2) Mind also produces a booklet that's available to print/download from their website: www.mind.org.uk It's called 'Making Sense of Coming Off Psychiatric Drugs', and you can also buy a printed version from them. Also available from Mind are booklets on the various classes of psychiatric drugs.

Books:

You'll find info about various books listed on the sites or in the booklets above. I'd recommend these two books especially:

- 'Your Drug May Be Your Problem - How and when to stop taking psychiatric drugs' by Drs Breggin & Cohen is good on well-planned withdrawing (but be prepared for a strongly anti-drug line);

- Peter Leahmann's 'Coming off Psychiatric Drugs: Successful Withdrawal from Neuroleptics, Antidepressants, Lithium, Carbamazepine and Tranquillisers' is a collection of stories of people's own experiences, and the different approaches they've used, including various kinds of holistic approaches and alternative therapies.

Anyway, hope some of this info might be useful, and best of luck.
Oneday

M

Mad Chick

Thanks

Hi Oneday,
Thanks for so much info, I now realise that I was withdrawing far too quickly, although 8-9 weeks seems like a long time I probably should've taken a lot longer given the time I had been on the drug.
In the past 20 odd years Ive been on all sorts of meds but none that had such a strong withdrawl as Venlafaxine!!!
I am very much hoping that this time will be the time to quit for ever.
I tried to get to grips with Mindfulness and had quite a few sessions with a therapist. At the time I dont think I found it very helpful but I did retain the basics and I have the book- cant remember the names of guys who wrote it but its called The Mindful way through depression, I think. I'm going to give it a try again to see if I can recreate the calmness I was trying to achieve.
Mood still good, did work out thismorning so endorphins racing around in my brain. Off to work and back driving cos dizziness almost completely gone.
Bye.xx

oneday

oneday

Good to hear from you, MC. Best of luck (I've ben putting off getting into some regular exercise again myself - but those endorphins can be good! and it burns up/expresses that mental energy)

:) Anyway, all best.

T

trying hard

Hi
I was on venlafaxine for a while and had terrible problems even if I took one a little late.
I decided to come off them.
I used the internet a lot to find out about it and found that in the States because they buy their medication, some people were buying some fluoxetine and taking them to get off of Venlafaxine.
I did just that.
I reduced them very quickly but took fluoxetine straight away (I had some left over) and had no side effects at all.
Previous attempts saw me get sick, shakes, electric shock type feelings.
I realise this is not good advice and I'm not saying do this but it worked for me.
I also realise I should have got medical advice to come off them but, well, I wasn't well!
:O)