• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Withdrawing

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I am currently withdrawing off the AD I have been on for a while ready to start a new one..... Having such a rough time:(:( Just have to keep tellin myself that its apparently for the best. Does anyone else feel that sometimes they dont belive that they have an illness and therefor nobody else does. I just want to shake this feeling of not feeling right

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
intelgal sorry you are having such a hard time changing ADs. It is not surprising that you are feeling especially rough at the moment. I'm afraid I passed the not believing stage quite a long time ago - but I remember I did used to feel that way in my early years (early years of D that is!). It sounds harsh but the truth is you do have an illness and getting the right medication is part of the treatment, and a really helpful part if you can find one that works for you. Not much anyone (or me anyway) can say to specifically help anyway but to hope you feel a bit better soon :flowers:.

Nick.

A

Apotheosis

I am currently withdrawing off the AD I have been on for a while ready to start a new one..... Having such a rough time:(:( Just have to keep tellin myself that its apparently for the best. Does anyone else feel that sometimes they dont belive that they have an illness and therefor nobody else does. I just want to shake this feeling of not feeling right
The disease model of mental illness is I have to say a Hypothesis - Sorry to be controversial, Knowing how allot of people think on this site. There is no medical test which can categorically state that you have any specified MH condition; diagnoses are based almost entirely on observation of arbitrary symptoms. I suppose allot depends on what you would classify as a "Disease" or "illness". I am not saying that these states are not real, nor am I playing down the devastating nature of these things. Simply that there are so many ideas as to what the causes & nature are to this stuff that there is no concrete "Truth".

In my own experience, with a diagnosis of "paranoid schizophrenia" among others over the years. I see my "condition" very much in Jungian Shamanistic sense; of a soul sickness, a large spiritual component to my troubles, & allot of psychological & environmental factors at play, the chemical imbalance, Genetic, reductionist scientific (physical) factors; I think have had less impact & are not the main causes; in the case of Brain Chemistry I see this as an effect & nothing to do with cause.

I don't think it's helpful to be predominantly focused on the Orthodox scientific paradigm, nor exclusive to the spiritual paradigm (anti-orthodox psychiatry). I suppose a balance is needed - one which we don't have in society. I try to look at this from all angles. But I don't agree that in all cases the best thing is to accept it as all "Illness" & see the only solution as meds. There are other frameworks & solutions. Yes; meds can help some, I don't like or agree with the predominance of such action; i.e. - medicating everyone, to the exclusion of everything else. It strikes me as wrong.
I don't think it an extreme view, nor unrealistic to think that there are certain people, especially within certain powerful institutions; who would like to see an entirely medicated population; it is a governments wet dream. How many millions, if not Billions across the planet are now dependant on meds?

http://www.jungcircle.com/depression.html

Aahbut

Aahbut

Hi Intelgal, yep that's a feeling I have recognised often. Suddenly I feel fine and then begin to question myself. Am I ill or just lazy? Then you hit a crushing low and there is the answer.

J

jamesdean

Apothesosis

I'm kinda interested 2 know the medical side of things because i stoped myself from taking medication 4 many years but now i feel i've lost out on so much in life because may b i should of taken medication earlier on in my life n i might of got 2 where i'm @ now a lot quicker n perhaps with less pain.
Some 1 said 2 me once that there might b a blood test that we could take 2 tell if we really was suffering from depression again something that only caused me even more paranoia making me feel like perhaps i was afraud. Knowing now i've responded 2 the ad's i know i really did have depression in my life n i dont doudt that @ all now.:mad:(y)I'm feeling :love:[email protected] the moment

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
I really can't face the thought that depression could be long term over years. i have been suffering for what seems an endless time already of about a year and it has been devastating. reading posts on these forums from people that have had it for many years is awful.
Whats wrong? why is it treatable for some and not for others? why does it strike some people as young adults of even children?
It is such a horrible illness and can be so extreme.

J

jamesdean

Dont worry

kp1 it might just b a short bout, i really have meet people that recover after a short while, n never look back.Best wishes heres a:hug:n some:flowers:

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi there,

I always seem to be questioning my illness - and it's reassuring to see the words fraud / lazy etc. in previous posts as these are the same words I find myself using against myself (needless to say the words I use to describe myself inevitably take a dive toward the sewer).

What I've worked out however is that this questioning of my illness is very much part of the illness, feeding off my low self esteem and sending it ever lower into dangerous territory. As Aahbut says this is the start of another crushing low :(. It's useful to know this but it doesn't stop me thinking it. Now I try to let the thoughts happen but to not follow them - not always succesful!

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
Hang on in there Intelgal. This is an interesting thread as most of us seem to think in a similar way. I think Honeyquince has a good point about it being part of the illness to doubt that there's anything wrong, and accepting seems to be an important part of recovery (or discovery - whoever said that, it's a great aim). My GP said that those who struggle to accept their depression tend to crash the hardest which seems to make sense to me.

I hope that the withdrawal and starting the new meds gets easier for you - let us know how it goes.

Take care.
:hug: Rollinat

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Thanks you guys... Reassuring words as ever:grouphug::grouphug: