• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

wishing you were someone else?

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

I have for a long time daydreamed about being someone else - I used to look at students and wish I were in their shoes again.
I've also done it when walking down the street and seeing people in their homes watching tv - wishing it were me in there!
Today I walked to the shop and passed a petrol station, I wished I were filling up my car and heading off somewhere nice!
Is this normal? Do others partake in similar day dreams????

P

Purple butterfly

I often wish I was someone else someone happy someone normal but the reality is I am stuck with me and I have to manage it x x

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

Mmmmm I guess I am trying to tell myself something, never really thought about it before now

R

Richter

All the time. Part of hating who I am as a person.

SarahD

SarahD

Usually do that when I am feeling really bad. I too have glanced in people's windows, seen them all cozy looking like a normal yet perfect life (no such thing) and wanted to change places. Or watched people in the street looking so carefree, why can't that be me? I usually seem to live under a flight path, so would watch a plane overhead and think of all the lucky people going somewhere else (ie I want to escape my life) (think this even though I am terrified of flying!)

Oh yes. And when I am on the way to the dentist I want to change places with anybody.

A

Alvinj

I have had this same thoughts too,but you just have to accept yourself first before others can,the truth is no one is 100% satisfied with who they are u just have to love your self and stop wishing you were someone else because you are who you are and who you are is unique

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I think sometimes I have tried to live another persons life and run away from my own. But the problems remain and you have to deal with it. Not only problems but people in your life like family.

But yeah I have done that too. Gone passed a house and wishing I was in there watching tv. :)

T

TheTigerThief

Yeah, I look at other people and wish we could trade places often. But I think if I were ever given the chance to be someone else I wouldn't take it, everything that's happened to me has become a part of who I am and I'm coming to accept that.

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

Thanks for the replies....... It's not so obscure then phew! I think your right though tiger thief, if offered the chance I probably wouldn't take it, which makes my day dreams void!

rubyrose

rubyrose

Boy, do I know the feeling. I have wished I could be someone else many times. It really does seem like some people are perfect. I know no one is, though.

ETA: I'm sure you're great just the way you are. :)

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Every second of every minute of every hour of every day I wish I was someone else.

A

Alienated

I don't want to be someone different, just wish I had the strength to be who I was supposed to be. I am too weak, have fear, discouraged, and let so many opportunities pass me by. I just want to be a better ME.