Wim Hof methods - anyone used, thoughts?

J

johnram

Hi all,

i struggle with meditation, but have come across the wim hof method (loads of youtube videos and he has been in news more lately).

I find the breating similar to meditation and it does lift my mood, if i can get myself to do it. The cold showers part is harder, but once i am in the rythym i can keep it up more regularly

i post to ask others views, experiences (both positive and negative) of Wim and the approaches and supposed benefits

thanks

Heidrun

Heidrun

I've heard of Wim Hof indeed, I think it's positive for the body. Most people avoid the cold but I think it can have a big impact and the way I do it is starting a warm shower (22 dc) (to get comfortable and get a bit 'numb' ) and when I am done I take a quick very cold shower (13dc) (only cold water) to give me that 'clear' 'reality' shock. I know it's also embedded in Finnish culture (I believe the word sauna is from Finnish origin), I'd love to go to a real Finnish sauna one day. I am not sure about any scientific evidence of its workings, I think he said it was good for immune system, blood circulation and such. If you have a problem with the immediate cold temperature maybe take gradual steps down in temperature instead of going for full cold. If you know what I mean.

J

johnram

Hi Heidrun, thanks for posting and welcome to the forums.

When i shower with warm water, i relax and i get a bit more at ease. when i shower with cold water, i feel a charge to be active - for what thats worth. I like it.

I have been doing both, sometimes washing with warm water, and then very hot, then suddenly cold to finish, or warm, cold, then finish warm.

however would like to do more just cold

do you do any breathing practises?

Heidrun

Heidrun

Hi Heidrun, thanks for posting and welcome to the forums.

When i shower with warm water, i relax and i get a bit more at ease. when i shower with cold water, i feel a charge to be active - for what thats worth. I like it.

I have been doing both, sometimes washing with warm water, and then very hot, then suddenly cold to finish, or warm, cold, then finish warm.

however would like to do more just cold

do you do any breathing practises?
Hi, ah more cold. In that case taking control of breathing is most important. This is also how I try to get a bigger “cold” resistance while outside in winter <in the forest on a cold day with closed eye meditation and focus on breathing and sounds around>. Not sure what exactly you mean with breathing practises, normally just an extreme focus on breathing and lowering heart rate. I think that’s what Wim Hof also does when sitting in an ice tub for 2 hours (I”ll pass on that for now :p).

J

johnram

I tried ice tube recently, only lasted few minutes. was good but i like the cold a bit too which helped

breathing - i meant if you do any practises. i am trying wims breathing methods currently