Will this ever end

S

Sassyb

Nearly 3 weeks into taking high dose venlafaxine and mirtazipine and feel like I’m the living dead. Have felt suicidal and can hardly get out of bed.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

Mirtazipine can be effective 15mg, it helps me get a good night's sleep, never heard of venlafaxine. I'm not sure if more than 15mg would be good.

S

Sassyb

I’m on 45 mgs which doesn’t help with sleep. I just wish I could feel anything other than this numbness. How are you doing?

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I'm sorry you're feeling suicidal, I've heard it can be a side-effect of anti-depressants. I've also heard it can take up to six weeks for the full effect to kick in.

Can you tell me your medication history? what dose were you on before going up to a high dose and have you been given other brands in the past to try?

I'm on a low dose (50mg) of Sertraline, I've tried to get my pdoc to increase it before but she just ups my dose of anti-psychotics instead lol.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

I'm OK thanks, this forum has helped a lot, a few years ago I wouldn't have thought it was possible to suffer so much mentally, medications did help, but only in the short term, it can just numb you, I just had to learn ways to enjoy life again, find reasons, intense positive attitude, & it has helped more than anything.

But I definitely wasn't OK in 2006, worst year of my life, but you can & do get through it, nothing bad was happening just my mental distress.

S

Sassyb

I'm sorry you're feeling suicidal, I've heard it can be a side-effect of anti-depressants. I've also heard it can take up to six weeks for the full effect to kick in.

Can you tell me your medication history? what dose were you on before going up to a high dose and have you been given other brands in the past to try?

I'm on a low dose (50mg) of Sertraline, I've tried to get my pdoc to increase it before but she just ups my dose of anti-psychotics instead lol.
I was on a lower dose 150 mgs and was on olanzipine an antipsychotic which he has taken me off. I originally had ect which worked for 3 weeks and then I went down again. Ect helped me 20 years ago with postnatal depression and I haven’t been unwell until now.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I wish ECT was effective for hearing voices but I have to make do with 10mg of Aripiprazole and 4mg Risperidone (both anti-psychotics) to make my voice as quiet as possible so I can concentrate, I used to be on Olanzapine but that gave me a huge appetite and subsequently I put on weight.

The Sertraline helps with the social anxiety I have and the depression that comes with being a voice hearer, I wouldn't say it numbs me but it does help desensitise me.

People who know me keep asking how I cope with a constant and annoying voice in my head, my answer is "because I have to".

One of my support workers keeps going on about "positive mental attitude" (PMA), it's easy for him to say (but maybe not that easy as he suffers from Bipolar himself) but he doesn't have a voice like mine. He's also fond of the expression "Keep the faith".

You've gotten through this before and you'll do it again.

Do you know what your depression in centered around? It's ok to say I don't know as I've had that response from many other sufferers before. And are you on the waiting list for talking therapy? CBT was helpful for me, I don't know if that's good for depression aswell.

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

I wish ECT was effective for hearing voices but I have to make do with 10mg of Aripiprazole and 4mg Risperidone (both anti-psychotics) to make my voice as quiet as possible so I can concentrate, I used to be on Olanzapine but that gave me a huge appetite and subsequently I put on weight.

The Sertraline helps with the social anxiety I have and the depression that comes with being a voice hearer, I wouldn't say it numbs me but it does help desensitise me.

People who know me keep asking how I cope with a constant and annoying voice in my head, my answer is "because I have to".

One of my support workers keeps going on about "positive mental attitude" (PMA), it's easy for him to say (but maybe not that easy as he suffers from Bipolar himself) but he doesn't have a voice like mine. He's also fond of the expression "Keep the faith".

Do you know what your depression in centered around? It's ok to say I don't know as I've had that response from many other sufferers before. And are you on the waiting list for talking therapy? CBT was helpful for me, I don't know if that's good for depression aswell.
(response to what i bolded)

depends on the cause of the depression, if something happened that triggered the depression it could help but other times it cant really help much in my experience.

S

Sassyb

Well you certainly have a lot to cope with. My depression and high state seem to be hormone related as I have had postnatal depression twice and this time it is coinciding with the menopause.
I have thought about CBT but thought my depression was too severe to make any difference. I don’t work and rarely leave the house or drive so appointment s can be difficult .

Thank you for kind words of support.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

You can do CBT from home, I did, was cheaper on-line too.

But you may not even have to do that, the situation got desperate for me in the year 2006, at the end, that I was too scared to start thinking positive & face the outside world because I though it wouldn't work, but at the start of 2007, I started to force to issue - because I had to, no other choice - & it does work.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Is there anything non-mental health related that you'd like to talk about and take your mind off things for a while?

S

Sassyb

That’s a good idea, but I am totally consumed with how I’m feeling most of the time I can’t distract myself with television or reading. I don’t seem to have proper thought processes and can’t laugh or cry.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

Sorry to hear that, for years one of my friends kept telling me to find something to be fascinated with, I did eventually helped a lot, researching history, but that's not for everyone, there are other things to be fascinated with in life.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
What do you usually like to watch and read?

I haven't read anything that wasn't to do with hearing voices for years now and I don't get to watch as much TV as I used to. Between going to groups three times a week with my Early Intervention Team (social, walking and pool groups), seeing a friend three times a week and this new job working for the safety team I'm pretty busy.

S

Sassyb

That’s a thought I will do my best to try and think of something. My dad is trying to teach me to draw.

fazza

fazza

Mirtazipine can be effective 15mg, it helps me get a good night's sleep, never heard of venlafaxine. I'm not sure if more than 15mg would be good.
Venlafaxine is highly rated by some but it does have a reputation for being difficult to withdraw from.