• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

will power doesn't work

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

if you want to improve dont bother using will-power to force better behavior in my opinion. it will always eventually fail leaving you feeling like a failure. all you have to do is increase awareness of the problem. once that happens the mind automatically fix itself. because it automatically moves away from pain. so once it sees that it is causing pain it will stop. it only keeps doing it because it cant see clearly enough that it is causing it. so it blames other things in my opinion.

this is why i say dont try and suppress, or run away from, anxiety. because that perpetuates lack of awareness. instead embrace it with love and welcome it up into awareness with open arms. this brings it up into awareness. once this process starts it is the beginning of the end for anxiety in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
stygianiron222

stygianiron222

can i just say- your messages are so deep and thoughtful, are you like athena the godess of wisdom?!:ROFLMAO: not but seriously youre so smart!

jajingna

jajingna

Yet most advice for socially anxious people suggests using willpower. The bulk of it being "face your fears" and "take risks" meaning force yourself to do things that make you uncomfortable. Most recommend a gradual approach, you know, baby steps. Start saying hello more, make small talk, try eye contact with a cashier or something, and so on, in order to expand your comfort zone.

And some say this works for them, so who knows? In a similar way some quit bad habits like smoking or eating junk food through willpower. It works for some people and it's misleading to simply say it doesn't.

I

Intareseid

Yes and no.

You don't cure yourself of any illness just by sheer will power, it obviously doesn't work that way.

But a lot of mental illness require an element of will and determination to overcome that's often not required, or less required, in physical illness. You take pill or get a surgery and they either work or they don't.

There are no surgeries for most mental illnesses, at least that I'm aware of, and medication often seem like... Ban aids or partial solutions at best.

N

Nukelavee

I disagree. Awareness is important, but so is being able to make yourself deal with an issue.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

Yet most advice for socially anxious people suggests using willpower. The bulk of it being "face your fears" and "take risks" meaning force yourself to do things that make you uncomfortable. Most recommend a gradual approach, you know, baby steps. Start saying hello more, make small talk, try eye contact with a cashier or something, and so on, in order to expand your comfort zone.
depends how strong the fear is. if its too strong then try to force yourself to do things can make it worse. person needs the opposite. they need to get as far away from their fears as possible in order to calm down. once they are calm they need to work on improving their mind. heal trauma, self-esteem, wisdom, etc... once their mind is stronger then they can start to take baby steps towards facing the fears in my opinion.

alot of therapists are just regurgitating stuff they read. they have no real experience of overcoming childhood abuse symptoms. which is why i prefer guys like wayne dyer. because he is a guy who really transformed himself. he is living proof his teachings work. and he goes alot deeper then most typical therapists. there is alot of teachers on youtube someone can listen to for free that are actually better then paid therapists in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Pepperguy

In life, it happens that at first glance everything is good. But then everything changes. There are small troubles one after another. Gradually, everything changes for the worse. As a result, life collapses, becomes unbearable. This is how our sins, small and large, manifest themselves. Everything we have done in the past affects our future. What should I do in this situation? To ease the suffering of the soul, to save it. It is necessary to be freed from past sins. It is not necessary to carry such a burden as past sins. It's better to get rid of it. This can be done on the website found-salvation.com. Many people make their lives easier this way. It really helps.