• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

will it ever end ( OCD)

bluelives911

bluelives911

I am so sick of going through the obsessive thoughts about making sure a bunch of things are done during the course of my day , for example whenever i go into the fridge i have to make sure the doors are closed otherwise i obsess they will open and i have to push them 4 or 5 times to make certain they're closed,

My cellar door when i close it i push it closed and i hear the click it makes when its closed yet i have to push it closed , in the fridge i have to make sure the juice containers cant touch otherwise i drive myself batty until they are no longer touching after moving everything around in there to make room .....here's a real strange one when i flush the toilet i have to make sure the bowl fills up and stops running until i can leave the bathroom....this is nuts and i know it yet i do it.

Anyway its almost like i torture myself with all of these obsessive thoughts and behaviors.....any suggestions would be nice , thank you kindly for the help.

A

Am33

I discovered a doctor on you tube he gets his patients to tap their forehead takes their mind of the OCD it works .

L

LokiPokey75

Hi bluelives911!

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder is such a terrible mental disease. I've had the Pure O form of it since I was 13 (I'm 26 now) and I can tell you, it's been hell at times. But I was able to overcome my OCD, even if it will always be with me to some degree, because it no longer consumes my day like it used to.

You are primarily focused on the compulsions and that's a lot easier to deal with than purely thoughts. Realize that the things you're doing to calm your fears are making them worse. By closing the cellar door until you hear a click, making sure the juice containers don't touch, or waiting for the toilet to flush, the OCD is making those things necessary for you to feel okay. You don't need to do them to get relief or to ensure everything is going to be fine.

If someone gets hurt or something goes wrong, it is not the consequence of you not closing a door a certain way. Separate that belief from the compulsion because they're unrelated. You need to learn to accept the consequences of not doing things a certain way.

In other words, face your fears. Allow yourself not to wait for the click of the cellar door or the toilet to flush the right way. Just leave. It's overwhelming, I know, but the compulsion is overwhelming your mental health more.

What is your greatest fear of not doing these things? Answer that question and like I said, distance it from the compulsion. You do not control fate by making sure things are done a certain way, even if your OCD makes you feel that way. Life, good or bad, is going to happen regardless of whether you wait for the toilet to flush. Remove the fear from the compulsion and you'll no longer be a slave to it.

You can move through this, bluelives! I believe in you!

bluelives911

bluelives911

Hi bluelives911!

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder is such a terrible mental disease. I've had the Pure O form of it since I was 13 (I'm 26 now) and I can tell you, it's been hell at times. But I was able to overcome my OCD, even if it will always be with me to some degree, because it no longer consumes my day like it used to.

You are primarily focused on the compulsions and that's a lot easier to deal with than purely thoughts. Realize that the things you're doing to calm your fears are making them worse. By closing the cellar door until you hear a click, making sure the juice containers don't touch, or waiting for the toilet to flush, the OCD is making those things necessary for you to feel okay. You don't need to do them to get relief or to ensure everything is going to be fine.

If someone gets hurt or something goes wrong, it is not the consequence of you not closing a door a certain way. Separate that belief from the compulsion because they're unrelated. You need to learn to accept the consequences of not doing things a certain way.

In other words, face your fears. Allow yourself not to wait for the click of the cellar door or the toilet to flush the right way. Just leave. It's overwhelming, I know, but the compulsion is overwhelming your mental health more.

What is your greatest fear of not doing these things? Answer that question and like I said, distance it from the compulsion. You do not control fate by making sure things are done a certain way, even if your OCD makes you feel that way. Life, good or bad, is going to happen regardless of whether you wait for the toilet to flush. Remove the fear from the compulsion and you'll no longer be a slave to it.

You can move through this, bluelives! I believe in you!
WOW , thank you so much i completely agree with you , however its not so much closing the cellar door waiting to close its only when its closed i push it even AFTER the click, my compulsions really take a hold of me , i wish i didn't have this OCD as it makes me nuts at times nd its exhausting anyway your post is amazing, you're very articulate, by the way my name is Rich people all me coop other obsession i have is i count when im walking outside i count twice , sometimes three times in the blocksonthe sidewalk and if im not about to do three i stop and literally count to three , i really don't know why i do this , anyhow so grateful you replied to my post it was / is extremely helpful.

Sincerly
Coop

L

LokiPokey75

WOW , thank you so much i completely agree with you , however its not so much closing the cellar door waiting to close its only when its closed i push it even AFTER the click, my compulsions really take a hold of me , i wish i didn't have this OCD as it makes me nuts at times nd its exhausting anyway your post is amazing, you're very articulate, by the way my name is Rich people all me coop other obsession i have is i count when im walking outside i count twice , sometimes three times in the blocksonthe sidewalk and if im not about to do three i stop and literally count to three , i really don't know why i do this , anyhow so grateful you replied to my post it was / is extremely helpful.

Sincerly
Coop
You're welcome Coop! I'm glad I could help. I do believe you're capable of moving past this and I know if you try, you're going to make progress on every compulsion that bothers you. Good luck to you and stay safe!

bluelives911

bluelives911

You're welcome Coop! I'm glad I could help. I do believe you're capable of moving past this and I know if you try, you're going to make progress on every compulsion that bothers you. Good luck to you and stay safe!
If you don't mind me asking what obsessions do you struggle with , although i was all over the place in my message to you unlike me you seem very level headed and its nice to communicate with someone who " gets it " it would be nice to keep in touch with you should i have a few questions, thank you and you stay safe as well.

L

LokiPokey75

If you don't mind me asking what obsessions do you struggle with , although i was all over the place in my message to you unlike me you seem very level headed and its nice to communicate with someone who " gets it " it would be nice to keep in touch with you should i have a few questions, thank you and you stay safe as well.
Yeah sure bluelives! Any questions you have, I'd love to answer them.

My thoughts have involved harming others and I've even had disturbing sexual thoughts. I don't want to go into detail, but they made me afraid of myself because they felt out of my control. I thought I was a bad person because of these things I supposedly "wanted." They just made me feel terrible constantly.

A lot of introspection has helped me come to grips with the issues underlying those fears. Some of them still bother me sometimes, but that's okay. I face the fear and I get through it. Now at least I'm not in guilt and shame over these thoughts and that is crucial to letting them go.

If you have any questions, you can send me a private note. I'd be happy to help you!

K

kayla77

I am so sick of going through the obsessive thoughts about making sure a bunch of things are done during the course of my day , for example whenever i go into the fridge i have to make sure the doors are closed otherwise i obsess they will open and i have to push them 4 or 5 times to make certain they're closed,

My cellar door when i close it i push it closed and i hear the click it makes when its closed yet i have to push it closed , in the fridge i have to make sure the juice containers cant touch otherwise i drive myself batty until they are no longer touching after moving everything around in there to make room .....here's a real strange one when i flush the toilet i have to make sure the bowl fills up and stops running until i can leave the bathroom....this is nuts and i know it yet i do it.

Anyway its almost like i torture myself with all of these obsessive thoughts and behaviors.....any suggestions would be nice , thank you kindly for the help.

Why do we feel that we have to live in these Prisons without Bars. I myself have been going through these crazy OCD''s for along time. One of them is when the number 13 comes on my cable box, or my computer, or my phone, I have to stop what I'm doing until 14 comes on, even the microwave. I wonder what would happen if we just stopped catering to these OCD's, because they are taking up too much of our time, and energy. We want to live a good life, and wake up in the morning ready to seize the day, but no, we are Slaves to this condition and we have to find a way to free ourselves from this Torture Chamber...

Good Luck, and Stay Safe, and I hope we find a way out.....