• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Wife's mood swings. Possible abuse???

C

Crakhurst

Hope everyone is staying safe. My wife's mood swings are really getting me down recently. She's struggling with quarantine like a lot of us, which has only exacerbated the problem of her mood swings. I struggle every day waking up to not knowing which version of my wife I'm waking up to. Some days she's laughing and smiling, some days like today she's got the hump about something and taking it out on me and the kids all day. The slightest little thing sets her off. For example today she's pissed off and today my parents dropped some food round for us. She was asleep while I took it in and when I was putting it away all I heard from her was 'for f*** sake'. She told me to leave it and then complained when she was the only one 'who does anything round here'. She's never grateful for anything, you could give her a million pounds and she'd still be unhappy.

The other thing is the way she shouts and screams at me and the kids. Sometimes without warning, sometimes you can see it coming. There's no reason for it at times and she pushes my son around when he doesn't do the things she wants. If you confront her when she's in a good mood she just apologises and cries promising to never do it again or claim she's trying. But then the next day the whole thing repeats itself and she goes back to the same routine.

I'm not sure if this is some form of mental abuse but I know it feels like it at times. It really scares me the way she acts and I feel like at times the kids are in danger even though she's never hit them, but I feel like its only a matter of time.

Anybody got any views on this or any advice for how to deal with this??? Anything would be appreciated.

N

Nukelavee

Has she been diagnosed with any disorder?

I mean, it sounds abusive, but there may be a reason for it that can be corrected.

C

Crakhurst

Has she been diagnosed with any disorder?

I mean, it sounds abusive, but there may be a reason for it that can be corrected.

She has autism very mildly. I'm sure she has some form of depression but she refuses to go talk to anybody and when I suggest it might be best she just shuts me down and refuses to speak about it

N

Nukelavee

Hopefully, you can get her to see a doctor or somebody to find out for certain.

In the meantime - what are you doing for yourself and your son to cope with her moods? I don't mean in regards to handling her, but in coping with this stress? It's a hard situation to be in, you need to do as much as you can to keep your own mood stable.

Has she "always" been moody like this?

C

Crakhurst

I'm not doing much for myself in terms of dealing with it, its difficult with this quarantine. I have an underlying condition, and have been advised by my nurse not to even step outside the front door for 3 months.

She's only been like this since my first son was born which makes me think it's some form of post natal depression. Seems a bit long for me but then again I don't know how long these things last for.

N

Nukelavee

I'm not doing much for myself in terms of dealing with it, its difficult with this quarantine. I have an underlying condition, and have been advised by my nurse not to even step outside the front door for 3 months.

She's only been like this since my first son was born which makes me think it's some form of post natal depression. Seems a bit long for me but then again I don't know how long these things last for.
You should look it up. I have no experience with it, but I know of women who had issues from it for years.

Also - these are all suggestions - I don't want to sound like I'm telling you have to do anything.

Having said that - I think it would be good for you to create a special self-care or sooth routine for you and your son. don't let all this stress build up, it's really unhealthy. Try to get enough rest and eat properly.