• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Wife with Depression

R

rpc27

Hello all,

I'm joining this forum to try to get some useful advice that I can use to support my wife who is sufferring from depression.

We have been married for just over half a year now but this depression has been hanging over her mind for many years. Over the last 12 months it has gotten much worse and she has had to give up working as the stress (busy childcare nursery) was causing her to suffer from panic attacks.

She is currently on a high dose of antidepressants (sorry can't remember which kind right now), has felt suicidal, has been drinking (although I'm happy to say that she has drastically reduced this to just social drinking now).

We are able to support ourselves on just my salary, but with my wife being at home alone all day I'm worried that she's going to receed into herself. However, busy environments (ASDA on a Saturday) will make her panicy. She has been referred to a local counselling service for long term support (previously had 6 sessions with them) but say that she's not ready for it right now. I don't want to force her into attending, but I'm fast running out of ideas about how to get out of this situation.

Has anyone been in a similar situation supporting someone with depression (chronic?)? What other options are there that will help us to move out of the cloud of depression and start to live normal lives again?

I'm new to this community, so big thanks in advance for anyone who might be able to help us.

Thanks,
Rob

Sophie

Sophie

Hi rpc27
I am so sorry that your wife suffers from the dreaded beast of depression. I am also a victim of the beast. Last year was a really bad year, regarding my health. I was in denial, and was talking about suicide. To cut a long story short, my husband tricked me into going to the doctors, I waited outside, as I thought it was for him. We then went to hospital, it was only when we went into see the doctor, that I realised it was for me. I felt like a trapped animal, and said I needed the toilet. I tried to make a fast escape, but was caught up by my husband, nurse and doctor. I was also diagnosed with very strong pills. I was also diagnosed with Dissociation disorder. I was also drinking very heavily, which now I have cut down. I really don`t have any answers, just be there for her, make her feel loved, and tell her that you will help and support her. When she is ready, she will probably want to restart the counselling sessions again.
Best wishes to the both of you.

sallyG

sallyG

Hi and welcome to our little community..im so sorry to hear of your wifes depression...have you thought of introducing her to this forum..it may help her to know shes not alone with this dreaded illness..
My husband is very supportive of me and utterly understanding of my illness which i have found to be a godsend.,,without his support i dont know where i would be.
I hope you can find some answers here..we are a very friendly bunch of people..

R

rpc27

Thanks both for your quick replies.

It's good to see that this is a very active community. I'll try to introduce my wife to this forum, but right now everything is feeling like a massive chore to her. I hope we can find something to help us through.

Regards,
Rob

sallyG

sallyG

trust me i find everything to be a chore..its the depression that makes one feel like that..but i have found this forum to be so friendly and helpful...i hope your wife would be able to find solace here..dont forget to be kind to yourself too Rob..you need the support too chick.x