• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Wierd and wonderful dreams

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Does anyone else have very vivid deams. I don't always remember them but quite often I dream very detailed lengthy realistic dreams that are related to things now or in the past. There generally is an element of something not right or going wrong either minor or sometimes of nightmarish quality.
What do other people think of the significance of their dreams?
This could be part of depression and the brain trying to work thing out or possibly anti depressants.:sleep::confused::eek:

M

Michael

Founding Member
I have always had a very vivid imagination and coupled to this the ability to take this to my dream world.
I have had dreams (nightmares) of things I have not started but may be due to prior lives (?) who knows, I have certainly been to places where 'I have been before'

Dreams and depression are for me linked, when my depression kicks in then it controls (or seems to) my imagination, anything can (and does) then happen.

Medication (for me) seems to hold back my imagination, almost like a cell door with bars, I can see it but just can't release it.
Does it do me good or not, well thats for others to say. Without this restraint on my imagination I may not be here now!

All in all I cherish my imagination and my dream world, I just wish I could control it more

Michael

scottsblue

scottsblue

Founding Member
well i was having the most amazing dreams when i moved back home once, i just got a new job and bin there 2 weeks. every mornin i would wake up thinkin what a amazin dream , so graphic and i could remember it like watching a film.
then my credit card came threw the door and i thought i had a sure thing on the football betting with sky bet, thousands of pounds got lost that saturday and i dont remember having 1 dream as good as when i was at work for those first 2 weeks:cry:

D

Dollit

Some anti depressants can give you particularly vivid dreams especially when just on the point of waking. I was told that it was the minds attempt to free itself from the drug to wake and begin again. Personally I don't think all dreams mean anything - some do. I have series dreams and they are always related to what is going on in my life. Had a series recently and they left me feeling quite comforted. :)

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
I found that when I was on anti depressants and having many very late nights couldnt remember any dreams at all.

Just lately, because I've not been on any medication and getting more early nights, my dreams are really taking off, very vivid and full of colour. I never dream what I want to dream but my dreams are always very symbolic. For example, a few nights ago I had a dream that I was in a very broken down house. The walls were deep yellow and every wall was peeling paint and had thousands of hairline cracks.

D

Dollit

That's extremely interesting. Have you ever dreamt about pigs?

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
No I haven't Dollit, not that I can remember. I do remember in that particular dream, outside the yellow house was a field. In the near corner of the field I owned a small animal shed but didn't see any animals in it.

Why pigs?

D

Dollit

Pigs are said to signify the individual people that you have relationships with. I know a woman who used to dream of black pigs with one pink pig and the pink pig apparently signified the one person she thought she could trust. The black ones were the ones she thought had let her down. I'm not wholly convinced that all dreams mean something but understanding them can sometimes help.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
:) Dollit you are a mine of really wonderful information.

Nick.

D

Dollit

I absorb a lot of stuff I read and every now and then it makes interesting conversation! :D

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
Does anyone else have very vivid deams. I don't always remember them but quite often I dream very detailed lengthy realistic dreams that are related to things now or in the past. There generally is an element of something not right or going wrong either minor or sometimes of nightmarish quality.
What do other people think of the significance of their dreams?
This could be part of depression and the brain trying to work thing out or possibly anti depressants.:sleep::confused::eek:
Hi,

Yes I have very vivid dreams and nightmares.
I think some of this is caused by the medication that I am on and partly due to the symptoms I suffer from.
I would say from my own experience that there is no 'significance' whatsoever regarding the content of the dreams/nightmares but I would go along with the theory that having disturbed thoughts/symptoms can contribute to the intensity of the nightmares.

Good question though!:)

A

Apotheosis

I'd go as far as to say that dreams can be the connection to the divine & the playground of the psyche. In a Jungian framework; dreams contain often very important messages, or contain allot of meaning from the sub conscious. Re - Occurring dreams are often more significant. Much of the themes, people & content within dreams are, in fact, often relating to ourselves - especially when we dream of buildings. I often dream I am in buildings. As an example I will share a re-occurring dream I used to have -

I often dreamt that I was in a house at night; an attacker was trying to break in, sometimes there was more than one, they were armed, usually with a knife, sometimes a sword or gun. I would fight with them & usually overpower them.

The dream means for me; & from a Jungian perspective, this - The house I am in is my psyche, or personality, my self. The attacker is an aspect of myself. I believe the dream relates to a self sabotaging element within myself which I have wrestled with. Also in relation to overcoming addiction. I started having these dreams when I got clean & into recovery.

D

Dollit

I have drinking dreams when I'm under stress because alcohol was always my first port of call in a crisis. That obviously is meaningful. I don't think I can write of all dreams as meaningless or drug influenced when personal experience and experience of talking to others tells me difference. What I don't like is those big 99p books of dream interpretation which all say a different thing.

I have series dreams where the narrative progresses to a conclusion - usually the solution of a problem or the answer to a situation that I'm too stressed to work out awake but my mind can do with ease when I'm asleep.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I seem to dream quite a lot but they are usually stressful dreams , usually looking for something ive lost, or im trying to climb a sheer cliff or upside down steps. The daft thing is others in the dream see this as perfecty normal and are overtaking me but i keep on slipping backwards.

When i have nightmares they are terrifying and i end up screaming my head off. :eek:

D

Dollit

Those are typical anxiety dreams Daffy. I used to dream that I fell over while crossing a road and couldn't get out of the way of the big truck coming towards me. It's about lack of power in your life I think.