• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Why would someone pick up dirty stuff from the streets to use?

N

Nukelavee

Maybe he sees it as being thrifty and the thriftiness has become compulsive...
Which seems to be a trigger for hoarding for some people.

sure, it sounds like he may have some issues, but if collecting litter and wearing second hand clothes is an issue, I may have a problem, too.

sometimes I pick up litter to clean up my street, sometimes I find something neat I can use for my art or model/figures.

L

LisaM1982

You sound very judgemental of this guy, and using a lot of derrogative language to describe him... I wonder if you took the time to politely explain to him that by using a possibly infected face mask he is putting his health etc. in danger?
Firstly, we are all judgemental, some more than others and sometimes it’s consciously or subconsciously but it’s always there. Of course I’m going to judge someone picking up a filthy used face mask who intends to use it on his face.

Secondly, surely any ordinary person would already know that using a used face mask is dirty and potentially dangerous and not have to have someone point it out to him.

L

LisaM1982

Maybe that explains why he’s so tight with his money and picks up plastic bags in the street and uses them.

E

Elisante

Taking a break
Firstly, we are all judgemental, some more than others and sometimes it’s consciously or subconsciously but it’s always there. Of course I’m going to judge someone picking up a filthy used face mask who intends to use it on his face.

Secondly, surely any ordinary person would already know that using a used face mask is dirty and potentially dangerous and not have to have someone point it out to him.
Personally I think there was nothing wrong with your post. People judging you for judging is ironic.

OCDguy

OCDguy

You sound very judgemental of this guy, and using a lot of derrogative language to describe him... I wonder if you took the time to politely explain to him that by using a possibly infected face mask he is putting his health etc. in danger?
If my post caused offence, please accept my apologies

L

LisaM1982

He’s unemployed and doesn’t have many possessions and his clothes are the cheapest and don’t even fit him. But, even taking all of that into account, I still don’t think someone who is “normal” but tight with his or her money would even think about picking up a filthy face mask and use it on himself or herself.