• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Why would someone pick up dirty stuff from the streets to use?

L

LisaM1982

I know off someone who actually picks up plastic bags in the street and uses them. If you thought that was bad...

I saw him pick up a used face mask from the ground a couple of days ago.

Why would anyone do that???? One doesn’t know where the face mask has been, who has used it, all of the bacteria on it, etc.

Surely there must be some sort of disorder to make someone do such things.

Z

Zaz2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Strange times lead to strange behaviour 🙂

L

LisaM1982

Strange times lead to strange behaviour 🙂
He’s always been odd, what many people would call ‘weird’.

However, I think there is a big difference between picking up a plastic bag and picking up a used face mask!

L

LisaM1982

One must certainly not be thinking straight if he or she thinks it’s acceptable to pick up a face mask off the ground and use it. Even just picking it up off the ground is weird.

Z

Zaz2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dunno last time I was at Tesco the car park and surrounding grass areas were full of discarded face masks. Someone has to pick them up because it looks disgusting.

Z

Zaz2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
There were actually more masks lying on the ground than dog poo bags. A changing society.

L

Laudanum

Is he definitely using them, or is he just picking up litter?

L

LisaM1982

He’s going to use them!

I know the guy and he’s the type of person who buys his clothes from charity shops which don’t fit him, evidently doesn’t get washed very often (if at all) and is just generally a dirty person. I was mortified when I saw him pick one up off the ground.

E

Elisante

Taking a break
I doubt it very much. I’m just wondering what it could be to make someone behave in such an erratic way.
I don't know. I guess he is like those people that take things from trashcans and then put them in their homes. I'm sure there is a psychological explanation for this.

P

Purpleplum

He sounds like a hoarder. I think it's a sub-type of OCD.

OCDguy

OCDguy

He’s going to use them!

I know the guy and he’s the type of person who buys his clothes from charity shops which don’t fit him, evidently doesn’t get washed very often (if at all) and is just generally a dirty person. I was mortified when I saw him pick one up off the ground.
You sound very judgemental of this guy, and using a lot of derrogative language to describe him... I wonder if you took the time to politely explain to him that by using a possibly infected face mask he is putting his health etc. in danger?

JessisMe

JessisMe

I doubt it very much. I’m just wondering what it could be to make someone behave in such an erratic way.
Maybe he sees it as being thrifty and the thriftiness has become compulsive...