• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Why won't anyone help me!

tjo73

tjo73

Time for a bit of a rant I'm afraid, so please excuse me.
At the latter end of last year after getting nowhere with MHS my Gp referred me to the IPAT program for some CBT. I went to the assessment and because of my suicidal thoughts and an attempt to take my life only a few weeks before the assesment I was told that my needs were complex and that I was being referred back to MHS as they would be better placed to help. I accept that they were covering themselves because they are not meant for dealing with cases such as mine, but given the problems I have previously had with MHS I wasn't happy about it.
Just before christmas I went back for an assesment with MHS and despite my reservations I was prepared to give them another chance. I even wrote down a list of what I wanted from the services with some help and I took someone with me for backup. A couple of days later they rang me to say that they had a had a meeting and my case had been discussed and that they would not be doing anything at this time, no therapy, no support nothing. I was told that it was felt that I wasn't ready for therapy and that until certain issues were sorted out ie my housing they would do nothing.

I was to say the least angry at this, given that if that was the case why did first a CPN and my GP feel that IPAT was suitable. I feel that they are making excuses not to help me, it took an awful lot for me to go back and see them and ask them for help and this is not helping my current state of mind. I have since read parts of the nine page document that they sent to my GP and there are inaccuracies in that document. My Gp isn't happy and is writing a letter of complaint to them but I just feel that it is a waste of time. All I wanted is some help and now I'm on my own with what feels like nowhere left to go and I'm scared of what might happen :scared:

keepsafe

keepsafe

Thats a terrible place to be - no help, have you tried any other places like MIND, I was unsuitable for therapy at one point but they still offered me sessions to learn coping strategies and once I had been through that therapy they were glad to carry on helping me. I dont understand it seems ridiculous to me.

At least your doctor is trying to help, is it you local c.m.h.t. that refuses to help - what about a crisis team - don;t you have a crisis team where you are. If I were you I would contact NHS Direct and speak to them especially if you are suicidal.

Take care
KS

L

Lady Summer Isles

Sorry to hear of your plight, but it's an all too familiar tale. Don't know if you have a PALS service in your area. They are a mediation service and i am having to involve them in trying to sort out my care as well. They intervene between all parties and try and resolve problems.
Take care
Tannith

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
That's truly awfull! Sorry that you are having such a tough time. I would have thought that any MH issues were contributing to any other difficulties that you are having and that there should be someone within the CMHT that would support you with these problems as well as any mental health problems. This is the key reason why they employ social workers on CMHT. Issues like housing should not be used as an excuse not to engage with you. Ironically being on the books of the CMHT can often open up further opportunities for support with living stuff. It sounds like your GP is on your side which is a good thing, if you can, encourage them to apply pressure, they are the ones with the purse strings.

Good luck and stick with it, you have the right (I think!!) to appropriate treatment.

tjo73

tjo73

Thanks Honeyquince, Tannith and Keepsafe for your posts.
Thankfully I have a great GP and she is definately on my side and is writing to the MHS to put them straight on a few things that they wrote in that document that they sent her. They have taken what the person who assessed me for IPAT said and used it as an excuse not to help. The reason I attempted to take my life the last time, was because I had got to the end of my rope after losing all of my support from MHS(discharged by shrink without being told and losing support worker) and I felt that I was on my own and i couldn't cope. I'm afraid of that happening again which I really don't want.
We do have a PALS but I have been advised not to go that route at the moment, at least until my GP has had a go.
When I went for the assesment a social worker was present aswell as a CPN but they are sadly part of the system and don't seem inclined to help, in fact they said I should get my support from the local MIND. :scared:

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Great isn't it. Just when you're vulnerable they dump on you. I have my fingers crossed for you and really hope that you get the support you need. Interestingly I've been told by my CPN that even if my pdoc discharges me I can continue to have his support. It seems that each area and NHS Trust have their own made up rules.

Good luck and keep posting here - let us know how you are getting on.

Honey, :hug::hug::hug:

dib4uk

dib4uk

Oh my gosh!!!! Your experience sounds absolutley awfull, surley there is an organisation where you can go to complain perhapse PALS? It seems that when a person needs the help most there is no help avaliable- sadly i'm lead to believe that is the state of the national health service especially when its got anythng to do with mental health services.

M

MICHAEL1

I feel for u from the bottom of my heart and know what ur going through cannot be easy . . . on a personal level I have my doubts about all these programmes . . . and I know that it is easier said than done but in my humble opinion, the best way to get going is to rely on urself and try and be mentally strong . . .imagine a world where u had 2 rely on urself 4 everything, lets face it u would have found a way 2 cope or would u? Its along these lines one has to sometimes start thinking in order to raise oneself from the "grave" and stop relying on people who I must say some times have a vested interest in keeping people "sick"!

Goodluck