• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Why it's so hard to get out of long-term depression!!!

Desire less

Desire less

Often when help or advice is given that sounds rationally logical, the learned way of thinking resists this and tries to debunk the story of the aider with undermining thoughts.

It has to do with self-preservation, the rational solution is often experienced as removing the last mainstay, the own belief that supports the last self-confidence.

This is often not accepted because it requires change in the thought process and makes the person even more insecure and thus gives even more stress and also does not guarantee success, also another way of thinking is a rather complex change that is difficult to apply.

A person with depressive symptoms, together with all the resulting complaints, often has an overload of emotions and thoughts, that a solution is often seen as as complex as the thoughts and emotions that the person experiences.

The thinking in depression is extremely negative and is also rarely able to accept a positive thought or belief.

The understanding that an outsider partially understands you better than you do is often particularly difficult to comprehend during depression.

A depressed mind often only produces thoughts and beliefs that are helpful in maintaining the negative experience.

It has the function of warning you that you do not give yourself what is required.

It is a long-term internal conflict between the feeling and the thought that his or her sense of satisfaction or peace cannot find in itself and looks for it in other things until they disintegrate and the process repeats itself.

jajingna

jajingna

Depression can take away hope that things can get better, and that's a really dark place to get stuck in. Even just a little bit of hope is something to work with. Then maybe there can be progress forward, however slow or gradual. But first some hope is needed, I think, something that can be nurtured, not just a cliche like "this too will pass" but something stronger than that. Something real. Finding that sounds important to me.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

You make some very good points. I especially like these statements of yours:

The thinking in depression is extremely negative and is also rarely able to accept a positive thought or belief.

A depressed mind often only produces thoughts and beliefs that are helpful in maintaining the negative experience.

I question this statement though:

A person with depressive symptoms...often has an overload of emotions....

I believe that depression stunts the emotions that a depressed person feels, and rather than producing an overload of emotions, produces a deficit of emotions.

Fascinating points you make.

Desire less

Desire less

Depression can take away hope that things can get better, and that's a really dark place to get stuck in. Even just a little bit of hope is something to work with. Then maybe there can be progress forward, however slow or gradual. But first some hope is needed, I think, something that can be nurtured, not just a cliche like "this too will pass" but something stronger than that. Something real. Finding that sounds important to me.
It's hard to fix problems inside your mind...partially because it can only think of what it already knows and also because it's nearly impossible to fix problems with a mindset which created the problems...it's rationally not very hard to chance the process...but in reality it's very hard.

Desire less

Desire less

You make some very good points. I especially like these statements of yours:

I question this statement though:

A person with depressive symptoms...often has an overload of emotions....

I believe that depression numbs the emotions that a depressed person feels, and rather than producing an overload of emotions, produces a deficit of emotions

Fascinating points you make.
Thanks you MeAndMyDepression

it's partially research and partially from own experience...people experience depression slightly different in some ways.