• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Why it's so hard to get out of long-term depression!!!

Desire less

Desire less

Often when help or advice is given that sounds rationally logical, the learned way of thinking resists this and tries to debunk the story of the aider with undermining thoughts.

It has to do with self-preservation, the rational solution is often experienced as removing the last mainstay, the own belief that supports the last self-confidence.

This is often not accepted because it requires change in the thought process and makes the person even more insecure and thus gives even more stress and also does not guarantee success, also another way of thinking is a rather complex change that is difficult to apply.

A person with depressive symptoms, together with all the resulting complaints, often has an overload of emotions and thoughts, that a solution is often seen as as complex as the thoughts and emotions that the person experiences.

The thinking in depression is extremely negative and is also rarely able to accept a positive thought or belief.

The understanding that an outsider partially understands you better than you do is often particularly difficult to comprehend during depression.

A depressed mind often only produces thoughts and beliefs that are helpful in maintaining the negative experience.

It has the function of warning you that you do not give yourself what is required.

It is a long-term internal conflict between the feeling and the thought that his or her sense of satisfaction or peace cannot find in itself and looks for it in other things until they disintegrate and the process repeats itself.

jajingna

jajingna

Depression can take away hope that things can get better, and that's a really dark place to get stuck in. Even just a little bit of hope is something to work with. Then maybe there can be progress forward, however slow or gradual. But first some hope is needed, I think, something that can be nurtured, not just a cliche like "this too will pass" but something stronger than that. Something real. Finding that sounds important to me.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

You make some very good points. I especially like these statements of yours:

The thinking in depression is extremely negative and is also rarely able to accept a positive thought or belief.

A depressed mind often only produces thoughts and beliefs that are helpful in maintaining the negative experience.

I question this statement though:

A person with depressive symptoms...often has an overload of emotions....

I believe that depression stunts the emotions that a depressed person feels, and rather than producing an overload of emotions, produces a deficit of emotions.

Fascinating points you make.

Desire less

Desire less

Depression can take away hope that things can get better, and that's a really dark place to get stuck in. Even just a little bit of hope is something to work with. Then maybe there can be progress forward, however slow or gradual. But first some hope is needed, I think, something that can be nurtured, not just a cliche like "this too will pass" but something stronger than that. Something real. Finding that sounds important to me.
It's hard to fix problems inside your mind...partially because it can only think of what it already knows and also because it's nearly impossible to fix problems with a mindset which created the problems...it's rationally not very hard to chance the process...but in reality it's very hard.

Desire less

Desire less

You make some very good points. I especially like these statements of yours:

I question this statement though:

A person with depressive symptoms...often has an overload of emotions....

I believe that depression numbs the emotions that a depressed person feels, and rather than producing an overload of emotions, produces a deficit of emotions

Fascinating points you make.
Thanks you MeAndMyDepression

it's partially research and partially from own experience...people experience depression slightly different in some ways.

S

Supermansgirlfriend

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Don't know babes, had depression/anxiety disorder since I was 21 now 35, still have hope it will go, vut down on my pills, it's still there like a plague... Its a battle everyday, my complete understanding, try and do just the little things that will help you express your feelings, I write alot, thinking of you 💜💜

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Regarding the statement, "Why it's so hard to get out of long-term depression!!!," I think the simplistic reason is akin to saying, "Why it's so hard to get out of pancreatic cancer!!!" One's a mental illness; the other, a physical illness. Some illnesses are much more difficult to treat than others.

Karmaman

Karmaman

After two or three episodes of depression the chances of depression returning is high. I can still remember when I knew something was wrong in my teens. I didn't know what depression was but I thought it would go after a good nights sleep. Here I am decades later and having been through the ringer and all kinds of medication. I think the earlier people get treatment the more chances they have of overcoming early episodes of depression.

TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

The muggles see physical illness as something that no matter what you do, time heals all wounds. Get the flu? You will be fine in a few weeks. Cut yourself bad while making dinner? You will be fine in a few weeks.

My personal journey with depression is one where I could make a greater effort. But (I think) you need to be in the right place to muster the energy to push a little harder. Its a personal decision to decide when you are ready. I hate it when someone tells me to push and it just not what I want to hear. And I understand maybe I did tune it out because I don’t want to hear it. Thats a symptom of the problem. My head is wired to resist something I’m not ready for. Its helpful to suggest it. But please stop making me feel worse because I’m not living up to your expectations.

TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

I think the earlier people get treatment the more chances they have of overcoming early episodes of depression.
I agree. I think they should spend a significant amount of time teaching kids in school about strategies to maintain a strong mental health.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

A person with depressive symptoms, together with all the resulting complaints, often has an overload of emotions and thoughts, that a solution is often seen as as complex as the thoughts and emotions that the person experiences.

The understanding that an outsider partially understands you better than you do is often particularly difficult to comprehend.

It is a long-term internal conflict between the feeling and the thought that his or her sense of satisfaction or peace cannot find in itself and looks for it in other things until they disintegrate and the process repeats itself.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

Overloaded. Feelings, emotions and thoughts are on overload and feelings hinder my thoughts.
Tired

M

Maurol

The muggles see physical illness as something that no matter what you do, time heals all wounds. Get the flu? You will be fine in a few weeks. Cut yourself bad while making dinner? You will be fine in a few weeks.

My personal journey with depression is one where I could make a greater effort. But (I think) you need to be in the right place to muster the energy to push a little harder. Its a personal decision to decide when you are ready. I hate it when someone tells me to push and it just not what I want to hear. And I understand maybe I did tune it out because I don’t want to hear it. Thats a symptom of the problem. My head is wired to resist something I’m not ready for. Its helpful to suggest it. But please stop making me feel worse because I’m not living up to your expectations.
I understand you completely

F

FreshOda22

an overload of emotions and thoughts
I feel this statement deeply. When depression and emotional detachment come knocking it's usually because the feelings are a little too loud for me. An overload is a great way to put it. Like being overwhelmed.

G

Gotmeagain

It’s frustrating too because some Doctor’s don’t like prescribing anti-depressants long term, so I’ve weaned myself off, been ok for a short period of time and then boom, it’s back!! Going through that period where your waiting for medication to work whilst suffering and probably also needing to take time off work is unfair.