• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Why isn't the whole world meditating?

chesterking

chesterking

Why isn't the whole world meditating?
I've always wanted to know the answer to the this question.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I do think that meditation is gaining popularity and becoming more mainstream as people are understanding the benefits of meditation.
Unfortunately, there are so many distractions and people all too often will tell you they're "too busy" to meditate.
It's a pity, because ultimately I think it's a small kindness you can give to yourself, but the nature of modern society means that people have different priorities.

W

wannabegooroo

meditation can be good for management of anxiety, but just like physical exercise, meditation is best in moderation, excessive meditation is a sign of possible addiction/anxiety/self medication...and yes one get addicted to physical exercise also...

chesterking

chesterking

The whole idea of meditation is to get rid of thoughts forever, to become enlightened.
I think some people might think, hang on I quite like feeling my emotional pain. I quite like getting emotional about things. I quite like my ego, evil though it might be. And I want to feel grief when an loved one dies. I don't want to be in happy blissful state all the time.

Well, me, I'm quite glad my ego has gone. I never liked it anyway. It was evil and good at the same time.
I was watching Star Trek, the original series. I remember when Captain Kirk get's split into two. One good and one evil. In the episode, they said Captain Kirk needed the evil side to make him who he was.
I don't agree with this at all. I don't think nobody needs their evil side. We don't need evil to see what good is. We could all do without evil and suffering in the world.

Kerome

Kerome

It's a good question though. I think a lot of the world lives in ignorance of the benefits that meditation brings, and it's spiritual goals which are generally positive. Even for kids it has been shown to be very beneficial, but it doesn't get taught in schools. Same with yoga.

But these things are slowly making their way into the mainstream. Maybe at some point people will become aware of these methods and willing to take them up on a daily basis. It's funny though, back in the late 1970's there were more meditation centres around than I see today.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Because it is a fad like jogging?
Sorry that was a bit of a snap.

I think the world is too fast and busy. There is always something to do. Perhaps meditation is very important, and will have a greater role in the future.

Perhaps people will start to calm down, and stop chasing a dollar a day. We can hope :)

Kerome

Kerome

Meditation does't work for some people, it's as simple as that.
I think it's better to say that some people don't have the patience for meditation, or have difficulty grasping the concept. I do think it is a skill that can be cultivated by anyone, and it will benefit anyone who practices regularly.