• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Why is my brother so paranoid?

L

LisaM1982

My brother thinks that everyone is against him and out to get him. He always tries to connect things that aren’t even related and thinks that people are spying on him.

My partner knows a couple of men who used to be friends with my brother and they stopped speaking to him because he kept accusing them of talking about him behind his back. One of them told my partner that when he goes out for a few drinks of beer he is even worse because he looks at people and thinks that they are talking about him.

He doesn’t have any friends, he does not have a girlfriend and only leaves his flat to go to work and shops.

Is there a specific disorder for that type of behaviour?

D

Daringdan

Hi Lisa,
I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I have paranoid schizophrenia and it makes me think people are out to get me sometimes. There is also paranoid personality disorder which is what your brother might have. Has he been to see a psychiatrist. I would encourage him to do so. Sounds like he could use some treatment because of how it is interfering with his life. It can be difficult for paranoid people to accept treatment, mistrusting the one's trying to help him.

L

LisaM1982

Hi Lisa,
I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I have paranoid schizophrenia and it makes me think people are out to get me sometimes. There is also paranoid personality disorder which is what your brother might have. Has he been to see a psychiatrist. I would encourage him to do so. Sounds like he could use some treatment because of how it is interfering with his life. It can be difficult for paranoid people to accept treatment, mistrusting the one's trying to help him.
Hi,

I think if I were to mention to him he needs to get help then I think he would probably stop speaking to me altogether. I can’t go and visit him at the moment and he doesn’t have a mobile phone so I haven’t spoken or seen him in months now and although a part of me misses him if I’m being totally honest I think it’s been a good thing because he is sometimes too much to handle.

I don’t even like going to his flat because it stinks and is dirty so normally I would normally just meet him in person somewhere in public.

I hope he’s okay, but I’ve had to put up with his accusations and silly comments for years and years now.

D

Daringdan

It can be tough to deal with someone with extreme paranoia. People often don't think of themselves as being sick, I know I didn't at first. If there is anybody in his life that he tends to trust more, maybe they can try and get him to see a psychiatrist or therapist. If he is alone a lot it can make his condition worse. It's good that you've communicated with him in the past any bit of help is worth it, I think.

toutatis

toutatis

It could, I guess, be a number of disorders. Even things like social anxiety and avoidant personality disorder can skew peoples thinking in paranoid very mistrustful ways.