• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Why is losing weigh so hard? Depressed :(

AnxiousE

AnxiousE

So, I've gained about 26lb from being on meds over the past 2.5 years. I had finally started exercising again and attempting different food restrictions over the past year, and 2 weeks ago, started intermittent fasting. BUT...

Turns outo, my intermittent fasting is all for naught if I don't get fat adapted first. And that means keto diet, for up to 21 days claims one YouTuber. So, I'm probably not burning any fat and that makes me very discouraged! My breakfasts are half carbs and half fats (Dr, third carbs, third fat and third protein). At any rate, cutting carbs completely just seems impossible to me! :/

J

Just_survival

What else have you tried? Really we just need to cut calories and we will lose weight. It may be slower but it will drop...

I have been trying to lose weight when I have any motivation to care , which that I’m itself makes me unsuccessful. If you’re able to keep consistent at cutting calories you’ll go good. I wish I could but my emotions are so up and down and food is the only thing in life I can control and enjoy a bit. Sad I know.

Anyhow good luck 😊

L

lanx_lad

Do you keep track of your food intake? If you dont there's some good free apps that you can use to count calories.

J

JohnDoe1

So, I've gained about 26lb from being on meds over the past 2.5 years. I had finally started exercising again and attempting different food restrictions over the past year, and 2 weeks ago, started intermittent fasting. BUT...

Turns outo, my intermittent fasting is all for naught if I don't get fat adapted first. And that means keto diet, for up to 21 days claims one YouTuber. So, I'm probably not burning any fat and that makes me very discouraged! My breakfasts are half carbs and half fats (Dr, third carbs, third fat and third protein). At any rate, cutting carbs completely just seems impossible to me! :/
I'd stay away from diet youtubers because they are all “experts“ and only their method works. The most basic oversimplification still holds true - calories in vs calories out. You don't need to cut whole food groups to loose weight but a balanced diet would be advantageous.
Similarly, you don't need to go keto to utilize your fat storage as long as you're in an overall deficit. Otherwise you'd loose a significant amount of muscle mass just by sleeping since glycogen storage is not sufficient for longer stretches of time.

sunset547544

sunset547544

My fitbit combined with tracking food consumed in the app has proved to be the most effective diet I have tried yet, but I still find myself in a pyscho mood when I get down to a certain weight and it's a pain inputting everything I eat into the app but also good as that deters me from eating lol.

N

Nukelavee

Keto diet is a joke/scam. Ketosis is starvation mode for your body, which is why it rips into fat and muscle for fuel. Adding ketones doesn't fool your body - if you are eating, anything, your body won't go into ketosis.

J

JohnDoe1

Keto diet is a joke/scam. Ketosis is starvation mode for your body, which is why it rips into fat and muscle for fuel. Adding ketones doesn't fool your body - if you are eating, anything, your body won't go into ketosis.
That's not necessarily true, though I agree that a strict carbohydrate denial is probably not the way to go. Firstly, it's not a well-rounded diet and the body doesn't have all those enzymes for glycolysis for nothing. Furthermore, sustainability is also an aspect: can you waive carbohydrates forever (a long stretch of time?). Because diets of wjatever kind are only successfull if they are sustained and integrated into your everyday life, going keto for a month (or whatever other diet) is not going to be successful in the long run if you start with your prior eating habits again.

OrphanBlack

OrphanBlack

I took up running in addition to watching my calories when I decided to drop weight a few years ago, and it really made a difference - I was 13st 10lbs in July, and by Christmas I was 12 stone 5 lbs. It's difficult to get going at the start, but it does pay off in the end

B

blue spark

Your doing it wrong,you need high fat,medium protein,low carbs.Get your fats from fatty beef,pork,butter,cream in your coffee,protein from chicken,tuna in oliveoil,any oily fish,get your carbs from spinach,green beans,cabbage,any greens.No potatoes,rice,pasta,bread at all.and i mean at all.

AnxiousE

AnxiousE

What else have you tried? Really we just need to cut calories and we will lose weight. It may be slower but it will drop...

I have been trying to lose weight when I have any motivation to care , which that I’m itself makes me unsuccessful. If you’re able to keep consistent at cutting calories you’ll go good. I wish I could but my emotions are so up and down and food is the only thing in life I can control and enjoy a bit. Sad I know.

Anyhow good luck 😊
I think I have the same problem. I cut for awhile and then I overeat so no weight ever stays off. I'm trying the fasting now though. That has guaranteed cut calories. I'll weigh myself this week to see if I've lost anything in the two weeks.

AnxiousE

AnxiousE

Do you keep track of your food intake? If you dont there's some good free apps that you can use to count calories.
Not really. I mean I pretty much eat the same thing every day (oh that just contradicts my last post. Well, it changes when I eat outside food or there's a holiday or party. You know) but yeah I got lazy with keeping a food diary. And it bores but also stresses me. I dunno. I might try again. Thanks!

AnxiousE

AnxiousE

I'd stay away from diet youtubers because they are all “experts“ and only their method works. The most basic oversimplification still holds true - calories in vs calories out. You don't need to cut whole food groups to loose weight but a balanced diet would be advantageous.
Similarly, you don't need to go keto to utilize your fat storage as long as you're in an overall deficit. Otherwise you'd loose a significant amount of muscle mass just by sleeping since glycogen storage is not sufficient for longer stretches of time.
I like this advice! Someone else told me that if I'm in deficit, I'm bound to lose some fat...plus the fact that I'm always hungry, I mean, apparently if I'm hungry long enough (like in fasting), I can start to tap into that fat.

AnxiousE

AnxiousE

You think?? I think im going to agree with the poster below you...

AnxiousE

AnxiousE

Your doing it wrong,you need high fat,medium protein,low carbs.Get your fats from fatty beef,pork,butter,cream in your coffee,protein from chicken,tuna in oliveoil,any oily fish,get your carbs from spinach,green beans,cabbage,any greens.No potatoes,rice,pasta,bread at all.and i mean at all.
I know! But it's too hard for me. I mean, I have a pretty restrictive diet as it is and it's hard for me to get those fats and proteins in bulk for cheap. But thanks for the info!

J

JohnDoe1

I like this advice! Someone else told me that if I'm in deficit, I'm bound to lose some fat...plus the fact that I'm always hungry, I mean, apparently if I'm hungry long enough (like in fasting), I can start to tap into that fat.
As you said above, you overeat onve you've made some gains. Deficit doesn't mean eating nothing or fasting - that's not gonna be sustainable. Eat a few hundred calories less than your demand (there are calculators you can google) and preferrably add some exercise. You won't loose 20 pounds in a month that way but it's the long-term you are aiming for anyway, aren't you? Besides, pretty much all those miraculous youtube marketing videos are flawed, so don't use those standards. You don't need a keto diet for a caloric deficit. Very restrictive diets aren't necesssry for weight loss, you can eat bread and rice, etc.

Besides, if you eat too much on a keto diet you're still gaining fat. It's not a wonder method. So better to have a well-rounded diet that is volume-adapted.