• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Why is it that anytime somebody wants to end their life they get punished, made to feel even worse and alienated?

R

RussianCaliGirl

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Why is it that whenever you tell someone you want to end your life they just immediately start plotting ways against you to punish you and torture you? My last experiences are being cuffed by the pigs, forcefully detained in a hospital like a criminal and then the US attempting to rob a poor 20 year old woman for shit she didn’t even want and declined a million times! Why do people just start experiencing wrath and plotting against you for wanting to die? I don’t get it!

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
They force you into hospital and then charge you for the privilege? That is actually quite funny, but also appalling. I am appalled in general at what people in the states have to go through health wise.

It is getting worse here but hopefully it wont get that bad.

Whenever i have been in hospital in another country it has been free, but the ambulance was not free. The problem with that is the holiday insurance does not cover 100% so i might have paid out £400 but only got £275 back.

R

RussianCaliGirl

ACCOUNT CLOSED
They force you into hospital and then charge you for the privilege? That is actually quite funny, but also appalling. I am appalled in general at what people in the states have to go through health wise.

It is getting worse here but hopefully it wont get that bad.

Whenever i have been in hospital in another country it has been free, but the ambulance was not free. The problem with that is the holiday insurance does not cover 100% so i might have paid out £400 but only got £275 back.
Yepp, America is a low-key totalitarian country. Always bitching “safety this, safety that” to cover it up and make up reasons to control people.

N

Nukelavee

Well, because people take the risk of somebody killing themselves seriously, and don't want it to happen, so they take actions like calling emergency services.

Others are paid to take those possibilities seriously, and prevent them.

While I would never judge anybody for feeling that way, that is, being suicidal, in general, expressing suicidal urges implies being very troubled and not thinking clearly. I mean, people assume somebody expressing an urge to kill themselves lack self preservation. Most people would want somebody to save them, so they assume when you've calmed down, you would be glad to have been stopped.

the people taking action aren't out to get you, or full of anger towards you, it's the opposite. The issue is your actions don't get the results or reaction you'd prefer.

N

Nukelavee

america's healthcare for profit model doesn't make having any form of health crisis, mental or otherwise, any easier.

L

Ladyfair

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It's illegal to take one's life.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
It isn't illegal. It used to be called 'commit suicide' but that has been removed because it is not a crime.

Many bad psychiatric nurses i have heard telling a client that it is their choice, if they want to die. The Samaritans are told too, that if someone phones them wanting to die, that they should stay on the phone as they are killing themselves, if that is what the caller wishes. Most Samaritans do not like this and choose to help, but that is what they are taught during training.

I think that is all appalling. I don't think it should be illegal but i think everyone who says they feel suicidal, needs protection.

Once we know what happens when we tell people we want to die, i think we then have to work out what we really want, what help we really want.

N

Nukelavee

Once we know what happens when we tell people we want to die, i think we then have to work out what we really want, what help we really want.
Well said.
The Samaritans are told too, that if someone phones them wanting to die, that they should stay on the phone as they are killing themselves, if that is what the caller wishes.
That's a tough one. I probably would, but I find it problematic to expect somebody to do it as a job.

S

swillis

Trigger warning.

Personally i feel that there should be a 2 stage approach to anyone who seriously wants to commit suicide.

Once its understood someone should be protected and put into a programme for recovery, they should also be assessed to ascertain if it is what they really want during the programme.

Following the programme there should be facilitation. I am all for dignity in dying, if someone is in immense emotional distress and their basic functions are near impossible(cant feed themselves or wash or go to the toilet), i believe the carers are to blame and the ones keeping them alive are committing a form of torture (when theres clear emotional distress which is regular and severe)

No one should have to suffer to that extent when a comfortable death can now be provided in our age.

I personally have considered dignitas a few times and am saving money for if i want to go through with it. But i doubt our gov. Would let someone with mental health issues have assisted suicide, which i find morally wrong.

All opinions, i did state trigger warning and its pretty strong. Im mainly talking about people i witnessed that are mentally unwell, unstable and potentially violent, and spend the majority of their time unwell, and neglecting themselves.

N

Nukelavee

I can understand "assisted dying" as we call it here, when somebody is terminally ill, and capable of making the choice for their own.

I find the idea of using it in cases of emotional or mental distress, like super serious cases as you described, more problematic. MAybe because part of me can't let go of the possibility that a mentally ill person could recover, maybe. (I recognize this isn't always the case)

I find somebody else making that choice for the mentally ill very problematic.

I can't say I oppose what you suggest, just that I'm not comfortable with it, my own thoughts on the matter aren't clear, even to me.

I

Intareseid

Ultimately, there is a line between a person still within their senses making an at least somewhat rational choice that they don't want to live anymore and somebody so distorted by mental illness that they're not really capable of actually making that choice.

Where exactly is that line? who gets to decide that? I have no answers for that.

S

swillis

I can understand "assisted dying" as we call it here, when somebody is terminally ill, and capable of making the choice for their own.

I find the idea of using it in cases of emotional or mental distress, like super serious cases as you described, more problematic. MAybe because part of me can't let go of the possibility that a mentally ill person could recover, maybe. (I recognize this isn't always the case)

I find somebody else making that choice for the mentally ill very problematic.

I can't say I oppose what you suggest, just that I'm not comfortable with it, my own thoughts on the matter aren't clear, even to me.
I just dont like to think of people who live lives of emotional torture.

I myself have problems with relationships, appetite, sleep, everything basically, yet i present to someone as "normal" and have been acknowledged by a criminal psychologist as capable of making up own mind and having sufficient self control. Should i not then beable to have an assisted suicide?

I was in court for a crime i committed against my ex girlfriend just incase your wondering how i came across a criminal psychologist. And it was complicated.

Also, not everyone gets better, I myself wont in my opinion, i just dont like the idea of my right to die not being my own. Someone else has the audacity to say to someone who wants to die that they cant. I find it inhumane personally.

Ultimately, there is a line between a person still within their senses making an at least somewhat rational choice that they don't want to live anymore and somebody so distorted by mental illness that they're not really capable of actually making that choice.

Where exactly is that line? who gets to decide that? I have no answers for that.

I think its complicated, but the decision should always come from the victim or the one who wishes to die makes the decision, and over maybe a period of a few years if they acknowledge that they wish to die then it should be considered.

R

RussianCaliGirl

ACCOUNT CLOSED
If suicide is illegal anywhere, WTF?? That means the government literally believes it owns you, you are their property.
How can my body and my life belong to anyone but me? I think people should have the right to leave life if they want to or even need to.
If a person is in pain more often than not how harsh is it to keep them in this torture chamber that is their body?

R

RussianCaliGirl

ACCOUNT CLOSED
This last happened when I was 20 and then 21. I’m 25 now and still can’t get the past abuse outta my head!