Why is it so hard to get help ?

AC_77

AC_77

Hi all! I just came across this forum and thought it might be a good place to get some help, and have people who understand what I am going through. I have a long standing issue with depression and anxiety. I was successful in treatments with a mental health therapist, and some medications (Amitriptyline ). I moved out of my parents house when I was 16, was able to wean off the drugs and stop my therapy. I was very happy, and healthy. I am now 23 years old and suffering horribly from the same thing, except it has been a lot worse this time. I have tried talking to my doctor about my anxiety/depression with not much luck .. he tells me to eliminate the stressors in my life .. but how can I do that when it is literally everything? I have been back to the mental health center, and got assessed. But they have a six month waiting list. While I do have health coverage .. it is not much help with a private therapist. I need help now, not six months from now. Any suggestions?

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hello and :welcome: to the forum. Amitryptiline is a very old fashioned drug given mainly for muscle relaxation nowadays, so don't accept that again, in my opinion.

You can start some self help, although its not as good as therapy in person. We are a mainly British site, so we may struggle to understand all the US or other country, health care. What has triggered you again? I think most of us agree that we may have an underlying predisposition to react in certain ways, but we usually get triggered by events which sets us off.

Sometimes, its something apparently trivial, but underneath that is a complex problem. I have given this example before, so apologies if others have read this before. I went into a store to buy some shoe racks. Simple, just shoe racks - right? When I picked them up I felt over whelming panic and then tearfulness. I left the store in tears, feeling a twit that others had seen me.

I couldn't work it out. Then I calmed down and worked backwards. What thoughts did it stir up when I picked them up? My husband had died a few months earlier and I knew he would have disapproved and said it was a waste of money, he would make better ones etc. But that realisation didn't come for hours. Then it began to make sense. However, that was only one level, and so it went on.

So something apparently silly may have triggered a chain reaction in you. Its finding the first thing which might help and don't feel silly if it seems strange.

AC_77

AC_77

I never have thought about it that way. If I had to think about it, it all has gotten a lot worse in the last 3ish years. I am currently in a relationship where my partner has been using cocaine. I worry about him, a lot. I also have started a new job in that amount of time as a Vet Tech. I love my job, but it is very stressful. It is a very emotional job on a regular basis. In short, I am stressed at home, and it gets no better when I am at work. I feel like I am always in a sate of anxiety, with the depression coming and going. I guess I am just not sure where to start with my self help until I can get some more "professional" help.