Why I hate Christmas

E

english rose

When I was 6 months old my dad left my mum & went off with another woman, about a year later mum & I had to move about 100 miles away because we were on the verge of homelessness & a friend of my mum's (who was horrible) offered us somewhere to live - ie with her in her house, which unfortunately had 3 bedrooms which meant that the council in that area wouldn't allocate us a place because we weren't over-crowded, my dad stayed in touch & Christmases for me were alternated between mum & dad when I was a child - but that all changed when my dad & his wife had kids of their own, it transpired one year that my step-mother's parents did not know that my dad had been married before & so didn't know that I existed, apparently they were strict Catholics who wouldn't approve of their daughter marrying a divorcee (I'd like to know but am afraid to ask how come they did not find it strange that my dad & step-mother got married in a register office rather than a church), so when they expected to spend Christmas with their daughter one year & it was my dad's turn to have me, rather than tell them about me or fob them off, I had to spend Christmas with my mum & her horrible friend.

M

Mastiff mom

Dear English Rose sounds like you've been through a lot. I have a painful past and sometimes it still makes me sad. But I didn't want to feel sad about my past forever. I got into therapy and it was helpful. I'm so sorry you're not happy this Christmas. Sending you a hug.

Silver

Silver

My dad did something similar. Ditched me for his new family. Do you still speak to him?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Christmas can bring up a lot of painful memories. :hug1:
It really does sound like it must have been very upsetting and difficult for you.
I think it's incredibly cowardly, disloyal and selfish of your Dad not to honour the arrangement that you had to spend Christmas with him.
How have you spent time today?
I send hugs your way, anyway.

E

english rose

My dad did something similar. Ditched me for his new family. Do you still speak to him?
I semi talk to him - if that makes any sense.

E

english rose

Christmas can bring up a lot of painful memories. :hug1:
It really does sound like it must have been very upsetting and difficult for you.
I think it's incredibly cowardly, disloyal and selfish of your Dad not to honour the arrangement that you had to spend Christmas with him.
How have you spent time today?
I send hugs your way, anyway.
I spent the day with my fiance & his mother, his mum is feeling very sad at the moment due to her daughter dying - 26 years ago, I guess it's something you never get over.

albie

albie

I was alone over xmas. Just me and my TV. Still I feel lucky compared to your xmas story.

E

english rose

I was alone over xmas. Just me and my TV. Still I feel lucky compared to your xmas story.
I spent 5 Christmases in a row alone from 2004 to 2008, so I know how you feel.

albie

albie

I spent 5 Christmases in a row alone from 2004 to 2008, so I know how you feel.
I've spent christmas alone for about twenty years. Boo hoo bah humbug. I was born to be alone.