• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Why I Do It

S

Snowshoes68

I get the feeling that I've done something wrong or have offended someone I care about. I can endlessly list reasons in my head but I don't know what other people are thinking.

So if someone tells me I've wronged them, I'm ready. I can say that I've pro actively taken actions to correct this and prove that I'm trying and I'm not a bad person. I punish myself because I'm afraid someone thinks I do bad/mean/hurtful things.

I'm not a bad person but maybe I do bad things. I am aware and I can prove it with my scars. I don't like it either. I'm not a bad person.

Acorn

Acorn

It’s good that you can see you’re not a bad person.

The thing is you cannot tell what others are thinking and feeling. You are punishing yourself just in case, you have no proof. Would you punish a child for the possibility they might have done something wrong? There would always be a reason if you punish on possibilities. I’m wondering if that is a comforting excuse. A constant. A reason.