• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Why I can't live for myself.

frisas45

frisas45

I have a problem.

I cannot live for myself. Period. My religion forbids it. :(

Some of you might say, "Why don't you change your religion?" But it isn't simple. My entire family are conservative Christians, and in my culture, I can't just walk up and leave. Especially when I have no money or any ability to support myself. I need to depend on them to survive.

All I can do is wait for my graduation... Then I can get a job and do whatever.

But I wish I could clarify this. How to live a free life if I can't live for myself? If you live for people, you get tired and live by expectations. Some advise against this, and live for God. Guess what? I can't live for God if I don't know how to live up for God. The ones who does know are religious people, and they put more expectations. That's what living for God is. Expectations. That's why I'm so tired of fundamentalism. Fundamentalists put more rules, and use revelations from delusional trances to put us under control. They rant about how we are going to Hell and burn forever if we don't follow strict rules (not all fundamentalist are like this- but most of them are put under control). Thankfully, we are not involved with fundamentalism, but I have a suspicion that we are slowly heading there. This is why I want to be a liberal Christian. Liberal Christians focus on morals (racial equality, hope, financial inequality, etc.) than control.

I'm sick of fundamentalists because they restrict human expression, people's livelihoods, and abuse human rights. But if it comes to serious issues concerning animal abuse and environmental issues, they happily ignore it. Not only that, they discourage us to stand up against these issues (animals are better of eaten rather than used as pets, caring for the environment is of the devilish left-wing). Even human rights are suppressed. They forbid women to seek their own goals and dreams and be controlled by their husbands. Women are always under authority.

But the liberals care about these issues and do the right thing. They allow women's rights, and feed the hungry. They care about the environment. They care about the difficulties that the immigrants face. That's what I want to be.

Last edited:
frisas45

frisas45

Liberal Christians seems to live for God without compromising their freedom.

Okie Cavies

Okie Cavies

It's great to see someone thinking about why they believe what they believe, and questioning things. I believe that when we seek spiritual truth, we will encounter God. :hug:

pepecat

pepecat

How long do you have before you graduate?
What sort of strict rules do you have to follow - and are they based in scripture? If not, probably not from God.
I"m guessing from what you said, some of it comes from Paul's teachings about women being subordinate and not preaching in church and what to wear and so on - the stuff in Corinthians?
Context is everything; it's useful to understand WHY Paul wrote those things at the time he wrote them, and take into account who he was writing to and what was going on around them at the time.
Maybe do some reading of your own which will help you form your own views and beliefs about Christianity. If nothing else, your faith has to be yours. Not your parents, not the church's, but your own personal faith and relationship with God.
When you've been brought up in a christian home - and particularly a strict one - you do end up questioning what you've been brought up with, and there comes a point where the faith you've been brought up with becomes your own - and it might look rather different from your parents' faith.

rainbowsocks

rainbowsocks

Ever heard of Deism? Seems like that would be a better fit for you than Christianity.

D

Daringdan

A pastor named John Piper teaches christian hedonism. As Piper says "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him." The belief system is all about finding your greatest joy in communion with the triune God as opposed to anything else which would be, to some extant, a lesser more fleeting pleasure.