• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

why have a seperate schizoeffective forum?

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Ive been diagnosed schizophrenia and depression.which is schizoeffective no?why is there a difference between schizophrenis and schizoeffective in psychiatry and on the forum?

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
it doesnt make sense to me.

C

Callalily

I don't understand the logic in the schizoaffective "depression type" and "bipolar type" I see written about. Many people with a diagnosis of schizophrenia have issues with depression, I don't know what makes some get "schizoaffective"? I reckon it depends what mood the psychiatrist is in. They make it all up as they go along imo.

F

flatz

Ive been diagnosed schizophrenia and depression.which is schizoeffective no?
No.

Schizoaffective Disorder is not even a subtype of Schizophrenia.

Allthough certain things may overlap the two are very seperate.

One area of difference occur in the types of reported hallucinations.

If you ever get the chance to attend a Schizophrenia workshop I would say jump at the chance even though it primarily goes by the view of modern psychiatry.

F

flatz

I don't understand the logic in the schizoaffective "depression type" and "bipolar type" I see written about. Many people with a diagnosis of schizophrenia have issues with depression,
Alot of Schizophrenics including myself have so-called negative symptoms that can be mistaken for depression by some psychiatrists.

Often anti-depressants are given after anti-psychotics, this is for a phenomenon called post psychotic depression that occurs with anti-psychotics.

|||ME|||

|||ME|||

Psychiatrists often got confused between whether someone's unique experience of distress could be best pigeonholed as "bipolar" or "schizophrenia". So they invented "schizoaffective", which is a way of saying "we haven't got a fucking clue" that makes them sound authoritative.

Eventually they'll start admitting they get confused about whether someone's unique experience of distress could be best pigeonholed as "schizophrenia" or "schizoeffective", so in the future we'll probably have an empty "schizo schiz effect effective dizzy disorder" forum to look forward to.

This will of course be a completely different and unique "mental illness" to any other way of experiencing distress :rolleyes:

F

firemonkee57

I don't understand the logic in the schizoaffective "depression type" and "bipolar type" I see written about. Many people with a diagnosis of schizophrenia have issues with depression, I don't know what makes some get "schizoaffective"? I reckon it depends what mood the psychiatrist is in. They make it all up as they go along imo.
With the DSM5 mood symptoms have to be present for 50% or more of the illness for a schizoaffective dx to be made. Less than that and it would be schizophrenia with depression.

The primary change to schizoaffective disorder is the requirement that a major mood episode be pres
-
ent for a majority of the disorder’s total duration after Criterion A has been met.
http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/changes from dsm-iv-tr to dsm-5.pdf

With the ICD 10 : A diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder should be made only when both definite schizophrenic and definite affective symptoms are prominent simultaneously, or within a few days of each other, within the same episode of illness, and when, as a consequence of this, the episode of illness does not meet criteria for either schizophrenia or a depressive or manic episode.
Schizoaffective Disorder | The Organization for Bipolar Affective Disorder

SarahD

SarahD

I asked my psychiatrist how sure she was my diagnosis was schizoaffective disorder (having gone through several diagnoses). She said very sure, because I have a prominent mood disorder, and that otherwise it would be paranoid schizophrenia.

BillFish

BillFish

Ive been diagnosed schizophrenia and depression.which is schizoeffective no?why is there a difference between schizophrenis and schizoeffective in psychiatry and on the forum?
Different forum? What does it matter, post where the hell you like.:p

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I was at one point diagnosed with schizophrenia, depression, bulimia and BPD.

I think it would have been easier if they'd just put a label on me which said "F***ed"

R

Rusty2040

I have a brother was recently diagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder. Before that he was diagnosed with bipolar but since he wasn't very forth coming with his health conditions we weren't how bad the condition was getting. Since his new diagnosis he includes the family.
My brother things he is the promised son. He also things the government is spying on his every move. He thinks the government is doing this because he is a promised son. My brother has taken invaga injections for the past 5 months, once a month. His condition is a bit better. He no longer is aggressive but his delusion that he is a promised son and he will make a lot of money because he is the promised son. He also says he has trouble concentrating. He says he cant think clearly. He has trouble reading which he loved to do before. Has anyone experienced this. Please help

R

Rusty2040

my brother has been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder . We cant find a medication that will suit him. He has taken many. Is there anyone out there who has this and is stabilized. I would really appreciate some help. He was in on invaga injections for the past few months which did improve his aggressive behavior but his delusion that he is the promised son and the government are listening to everything that he talks about is still there. He will not go to therapy. He also complains about not having clear thoughts and not being able to concentrate.

Nikita

Nikita

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I am diagnosed schizoaffective disorder,I had delusions.I am stablized on anti psychotics, Amisulpride tablets,I take 200mg a day.I am sorry for what your brother is going through.It may take a few months but he can get better and become stable again.