• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Why don't MH services know how to respond to distress?

SarahD

SarahD

Why don't they know how to respond to distress? Are they trained not to? Do they think any response will make things worse?

It is just like talking to the wall.

A simple human acknowledgement of suffering, a gesture of sympathy. Empathy might be asking too much. But nothing.

They are only interested in monitoring you.

I don't understand.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Oh Sarah, are you having a hard time of it at the moment? :hug1:
Are you saying this because you've been treated badly by the mental health services recently?

I really don't know the answer, to be honest.
A part of me understands that mental health workers are stressed and are made to do pointless paperwork, and so there are pressured to be on top of things. They're only human and can't be expected to be brilliant to everybody all of the time.

However, i've known from first-hand experience just how terrible people from the mental health and crisis teams are when you're in distress.
It does seem like there is a huge lack of empathy and they aren't relating to you as another human being. There is no heart-to-heart, only worker-to-patient.

I've been completely astounded and would say that at times, the way i've been treated has gone past negligence and turned into downright abuse. It's not right.

I hope that you can get some 'real' support elsewhere, because it sounds as though you won't be getting it any time soon from the services (even though it's their job!). :hug1: