• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Why do you feel the way you feel?

A

Abrilliantmind

I'm curious to know....

Why you feel sad
Why you feel angry
Why you feel lonley

The reason why I want to know is because I am a curious person by nature. But also, I may be off value as I have dealt with many emotions myself.

T

Tombomb

Sad I think others are money hungry. Angry holidays suck Lonely. No girl or kids

A

Abrilliantmind

Sad I think others are money hungry. Angry holidays suck Lonely. No girl or kids

A holiday can be enjoyed alone. You have 1000 friends and still feel lonely if they are not the right type of people.

jajingna

jajingna

I'm not sure why I feel as I do. In a book about trauma I read a while ago, the author said, "Understanding why you feel the way you do doesn't change how you feel." I don't think he meant that it is useless to try to understand why you feel as you do, sounds like that can be beneficial, but just to say that understanding the reasons for your feelings isn't enough. To change those feelings would require more than just being aware of where they come from.

A

Abrilliantmind

I still have finished the book, but I was reading The Power Of Now early this year which was written by Ekhart Tole. Hopefully I have spelt his name correctly.

I'm going to tell you what I wrote in my journal and read everyday for about a week that helped me decrease the intensity of the pain.

So first off all you need to recognise the emotion. For example let's say your angry.

The next thing you would do is NOT beat yourself up for being angry. Tell yourself that you have the right to be angry because of whatever reason. Maybe someone mistreated you or your family.

Afterwards, write down that you will choose to NOT be angry as you don't get any value from it. It won't change what happened.

The next step is about giving yourself closure.

Write down that you absolutely deserve an apology for the way you were mistreated (still tackling anger here). However, you may never get the apology because the person that mistreated may not have the ability to apologise due to their own insecurities.

Write it down. Read it once a day for a week or a month. And in my experience, it did help me. I still feel all my mixed emotions. But they are not intense, and they always fade away.

Hope this helps :)