• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Why do people think I am so selfish!!!

L

Lionheart

Founding Member

My Mothers boyfriend said to me 'stop reflecting on your past I had a worse past then you, you are being selfish, the sooner you realise that the better.'
I really feel like rubbish now, what the hell do I do everyone always thinks I am direspectfull and heartless in the sense some people are worse then me and I never remember that. I am so sad right now I don't know which way to go. :cry: Pleasesomeone advise if you can?
Much appreciated,

Lionheart.

E

Edinb9/5

Hi there!

I'm new to this forum - just got the guts to actually put how I feel out there, so can't say I'll be any good at giving advice....
All I would say is that you need to remember that everyone has their own problems and just because people may have bigger or badder problems than you or their past has been worse than yours, doesn't mean your problems and things that have happened to you in the past aren't important. It doesn't matter how big or small something is, if it's upsetting you or making you feel bad then it's important and doesn't mean you're not sensitive to others around you - it just means you care about your own wellbeing!!

N

Nutter_09

Yep - so true.
I have the same problems. I don't really have any bad things in my past but as my counsellor says have "severe depression". I hate it when people say that they have it worse off than you, get on woth it bla bla bla.
What I did was ask my family to read up on how to care for people with depression. I found netdoctor.com great. It has not totally helped me but they can understand a little more.

You need to look after yourself and forget what others think.

Cal

Cal

Founding Member
hey i think that's a bit rich of him considering that his statement is in itself a selfish one, just ignore it, if that's the sort of thing he has to say then just ignore him altogether it's not like it's going to detract from your life to blank him if he's just putting you down (sorry statements like that REALLY annoy me :mad:). Try not to let it get to you i don't think you come across as selfish :D and neither do i think your disrespectful or heartless so that means not everyone thinks it :p, people will either like you for who you are or they aren't worth worrying about :hug:

Emily-Rose

Emily-Rose

I remember a good friend of mine always says:

"It's not the size of the problem you have, whether it's big or small, it's how it affects you personally, everyone takes different situations differently."

He saysthat when I confide in him and I say "It's going to sound stupid cause it's not a big problem but..."

Emily.x

L

Lionheart

Founding Member

Thank you everyone for the help, I always try to think about how lucky I am in some respects and be positive. It was just when made to feel guilty about feeling bad about yourself was just really hurtful. I don't do it on purpose. IF I could I would be positve all the time!

Sophie

Sophie

What an insensitive and stupid remark your mothers husband said. I don´t think that he is someone who I would want in my life. He
doesn't know what is in your head, and what you are really going through. Ignore these stupid comments. You are not selfish, disrespectful or heartless. I think he needs to think before he puts his mouth in action. Try not to let him get to you.:hug: