• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Why do people get mental health problems

W

WDR98

I was wondering how I got schizophrenia and after reading a bit I've come to the conclusion that it might of developed from hash smoking from the age of 19 - 21 and a combination of traumatic experiences.

E

Eminem 12345

Genetics and environment some disorders don't need a genetic cause like personality disorders some anxiety disorders and PTSD but schizophrenia bipolar ocd depression ect are normally some bad genes being triggered by bad environment so for example I have a strong family history of schizophrenia my dad and uncle got schizophrenia because their father had it but they had alot of bad environmental experience such as being in care trauma homelessness drug use ect I have experienced alot of trauma and stuff and have mental ilness I have ocd and PTSD I've not got schizophrenia because I am in treatment for my existing disorders and I'm looking after myself cause I know the risks I stay away from drugs try to do mindfulness to cope with stress ect just because ur family has it doesn't mean u will get it but having said that alot of people have no family history of the disorder and that would mean it was likely caused by gene mutation and environmental influences so say some genes mutated but u never had environmental triggers u would never get schizophrenia but when the environment triggers the genes to turn on the risk of schizophrenia or other mental ilness goes up so ur correct trauma would have been a major factor in u developing schizophrenia but also ur genes as well whether it was inhereted or mutated something interesting is that these mental illnesses share some of the same genes like schizophrenia autism bipolar and depression it's just how many get turbed on decide what ilness u might get so say u had a certain amount of genes either inhereted or mutated that the environment triggered u might get one of these disorders so as an example u would need more genes to turn on to develop schizophrenia than u would depression ect I hope this makes sense I've not explained it that well as I'm not a doctor hope this helps

JessisMe

JessisMe

Two people I know developed schizophrenia after smoking marijuana.

W

WDR98

Genetics and environment some disorders don't need a genetic cause like personality disorders some anxiety disorders and PTSD but schizophrenia bipolar ocd depression ect are normally some bad genes being triggered by bad environment so for example I have a strong family history of schizophrenia my dad and uncle got schizophrenia because their father had it but they had alot of bad environmental experience such as being in care trauma homelessness drug use ect I have experienced alot of trauma and stuff and have mental ilness I have ocd and PTSD I've not got schizophrenia because I am in treatment for my existing disorders and I'm looking after myself cause I know the risks I stay away from drugs try to do mindfulness to cope with stress ect just because ur family has it doesn't mean u will get it but having said that alot of people have no family history of the disorder and that would mean it was likely caused by gene mutation and environmental influences so say some genes mutated but u never had environmental triggers u would never get schizophrenia but when the environment triggers the genes to turn on the risk of schizophrenia or other mental ilness goes up so ur correct trauma would have been a major factor in u developing schizophrenia but also ur genes as well whether it was inhereted or mutated something interesting is that these mental illnesses share some of the same genes like schizophrenia autism bipolar and depression it's just how many get turbed on decide what ilness u might get so say u had a certain amount of genes either inhereted or mutated that the environment triggered u might get one of these disorders so as an example u would need more genes to turn on to develop schizophrenia than u would depression ect I hope this makes sense I've not explained it that well as I'm not a doctor hope this helps
There is no history of mental health problems in my family so environmental factors or gene disorder may be plausible.

W

WDR98

Two people I know developed schizophrenia after smoking marijuana.
It wasn't marijuana I smoked at that age it was hashish but I suppose there both similar

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

The consensus around experiencing schizophrenia is as with many other mental illnesses - a genetic predisposition is triggered by an environmental stressor. So you could be right in your case, that smoking was the trigger. But because of the genetic predisposition, others may not experience symptoms x

J

Johntron9999

I was wondering how I got schizophrenia and after reading a bit I've come to the conclusion that it might of developed from hash smoking from the age of 19 - 21 and a combination of traumatic experiences.
smoking weed and doing certain drugs can set off schizophrenia if you have a predisposition to it in your genes.... deffinitley smoking weed is not good for alot of people. its not good for anyone actually to smoke it. it shrinks and damages your brain just like booze does. maybe if you have some kind of cancer or an exception yet weed i understand but by and large steer clear. there are medications and treatment to help out alot with those problems. also you might want to look into deep TMS.

N

natalie

May I voice my opinon and it is a personalised one?

I just happened to have developed mien, and when mother wasn't at all well physically, when expecting me and in labour at that point, they induced a drug, and that had then caused for me all sorts of different sets of problems, initially yes well the speech, and also along time later on in years, mental health. Off course, and my father if he was in the law field, could have sued, only he never was, and also were too late on not to be able to sue.

Have a good day all,

Best regards all,

Natalie,

UK, North London.

N

natalie

Just a futher thought, off course it was very much a great big shock in my earlier years, for all concerned in my family tree.

W

WDR98

smoking weed and doing certain drugs can set off schizophrenia if you have a predisposition to it in your genes.... deffinitley smoking weed is not good for alot of people. its not good for anyone actually to smoke it. it shrinks and damages your brain just like booze does. maybe if you have some kind of cancer or an exception yet weed i understand but by and large steer clear. there are medications and treatment to help out alot with those problems. also you might want to look into deep TMS.
I've stopped smoking weed what's deep TMS?

W

WDR98

May I voice my opinon and it is a personalised one?

I just happened to have developed mien, and when mother wasn't at all well physically, when expecting me and in labour at that point, they induced a drug, and that had then caused for me all sorts of different sets of problems, initially yes well the speech, and also along time later on in years, mental health. Off course, and my father if he was in the law field, could have sued, only he never was, and also were too late on not to be able to sue.

Have a good day all,

Best regards all,

Natalie,

UK, North London.
Thanks for sharing Natalie, I suppose you will have to let taking the health care world to court for their negligence go if it's to late. And try to live the best life that you can with your condition. I didn't have any idea why I developed psychosis until I came to this forum and couldn't identify something specific to blame for it. I understand now about environmental, genetic and spiritual stressors and how they cause it in latter life so could blame numerous things and people. But what's the point. Anyway take care of yourself and like I said try let the cause go now as there is nothing you can do about it and try to pursue a happy, wonderful life.

Regards

William
Cornwall, UK

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Well William, I have a personal theory, one that is outside the box and is no way associated with MHF but has been built from my own experiences.

I'm a firm believer that we're not alone in our heads, my voice hearing experience has given me the idea that all humans have not one but two minds sharing the one body.

My voice has shown me he has an ability to influence my mind in strange and sometimes terrible ways, he can put thoughts, images, impulses and ideas into my mind, he can even influence my dreams. In the past he's used this ability to mess with me in some pretty horrific ways, he often presented me with his fantasies that I once believed were reality, because of this I was diagnosed with psychosis.

I also believe they can manipulate and control all five of our senses to give us hallucinations.

So my personal belief is there's no such thing as schizophrenia or psychosis, they're just words that the medical community use to describe something they don't understand. What I really believe is that we're just victims of this second mind that shares our body with us.

For most people I think these second minds go unnoticed, they just influence us in a passive and harmless way, very few people get a sense that they're not alone in their minds and the minds they share a body with seem to be well adjusted, however some are not so well adjusted and decide to talk to us directly for their own sick entertainment and/or influence us in negative ways.

I blame these second minds for many 'disorders' and not just schizophrenia or psychosis.

There's a book that in part supports my theory, it's called 'The Daemon - A guide to your extraordinary secret self' by Anthony Peake, In his book he conveys the idea that we have two minds sharing the one body, a mind he calls our Daemon that is like a passenger in the body and our mind the Eidolon who is the driver of the body.

W

WDR98

Well William, I have a personal theory, one that is outside the box and is no way associated with MHF but has been built from my own experiences.

I'm a firm believer that we're not alone in our heads, my voice hearing experience has given me the idea that all humans have not one but two minds sharing the one body.

My voice has shown me he has an ability to influence my mind in strange and sometimes terrible ways, he can put thoughts, images, impulses and ideas into my mind, he can even influence my dreams. In the past he's used this ability to mess with me in some pretty horrific ways, he often presented me with his fantasies that I once believed were reality, because of this I was diagnosed with psychosis.

I also believe they can manipulate and control all five of our senses to give us hallucinations.

So my personal belief is there's no such thing as schizophrenia or psychosis, they're just words that the medical community use to describe something they don't understand. What I really believe is that we're just victims of this second mind that shares our body with us.

For most people I think these second minds go unnoticed, they just influence us in a passive and harmless way, very few people get a sense that they're not alone in their minds and the minds they share a body with seem to be well adjusted, however some are not so well adjusted and decide to talk to us directly for their own sick entertainment and/or influence us in negative ways.

I blame these second minds for many 'disorders' and not just schizophrenia or psychosis.

There's a book that in part supports my theory, it's called 'The Daemon - A guide to your extraordinary secret self' by Anthony Peake, In his book he conveys the idea that we have two minds sharing the one body, a mind he calls our Daemon that is like a passenger in the body and our mind the Eidolon who is the driver of the body.
Very interesting theory an absorbing read the only doubt I have is that I hear many voices not just one so how can it be only one other mind trying to control us like this. But I agree that we are the victims to whomever the voices are.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
It's my belief and experience that voices often try and present themselves as multiple people.

Mine did this to hide his true identity, he originally made me believe he was three individual voices, one English woman who just kept repeating "this is fun", an English man and an Australian man who claimed to be from some kind of law enforcement who said they were coming to get me for past deeds (smoking cannabis) and for being on their telepathic network.

But he kept changing his explanation for what he was, among other things he pretended to be God, the Devil, my Higher Self, a Spirit Guide, a group of good people in the world wanting to recruit me, a group of bad people in the world wanting to kill me and people I had been speaking to online about hearing voices but for most of these lies he got lazy and used the same voice.

It wasn't long before I accused him of being just singular and wasn't any of the things he insisted he was. He could do physical things to me but I won't go into those as it may trigger other voices to do the same, but because of his mastery over my thoughts and body I started to believe he was a physical part of me instead of some outside force.

This was when I sought out medication to try and help me cope with him, he was too loud and the physical things he could do to me were getting unbearable. The meds sorted him out but had an unforeseen side effect, it put a wedge between his mind and mine, I now know what are my thoughts and what are the ones he tries putting into my mind.

Now he can't pretend to be anything other than what I believe him to be he spends most of his time whining and ranting about being medicated and about my lack of interest in talking to him, he also sings a lot, when he sings he can mimic with perfect accuracy the voice of whoever sings the song he's copying, without needing vocal chords it's so easy for him to change his voice.

So that's why I believe my voice and everyone else's voices are singular, some pretend to be multiple people mainly to have fun but it also gives them the ability to reinvent themselves any time they wish, some create nice and bad personas to both try to be your friend and harass you alternatively depending on their mood at the time.

W

WDR98

It's my belief and experience that voices often try and present themselves as multiple people.

Mine did this to hide his true identity, he originally made me believe he was three individual voices, one English woman who just kept repeating "this is fun", an English man and an Australian man who claimed to be from some kind of law enforcement who said they were coming to get me for past deeds (smoking cannabis) and for being on their telepathic network.

But he kept changing his explanation for what he was, among other things he pretended to be God, the Devil, my Higher Self, a Spirit Guide, a group of good people in the world wanting to recruit me, a group of bad people in the world wanting to kill me and people I had been speaking to online about hearing voices but for most of these lies he got lazy and used the same voice.

It wasn't long before I accused him of being just singular and wasn't any of the things he insisted he was. He could do physical things to me but I won't go into those as it may trigger other voices to do the same, but because of his mastery over my thoughts and body I started to believe he was a physical part of me instead of some outside force.

This was when I sought out medication to try and help me cope with him, he was too loud and the physical things he could do to me were getting unbearable. The meds sorted him out but had an unforeseen side effect, it put a wedge between his mind and mine, I now know what are my thoughts and what are the ones he tries putting into my mind.

Now he can't pretend to be anything other than what I believe him to be he spends most of his time whining and ranting about being medicated and about my lack of interest in talking to him, he also sings a lot, when he sings he can mimic with perfect accuracy the voice of whoever sings the song he's copying, without needing vocal chords it's so easy for him to change his voice.

So that's why I believe my voice and everyone else's voices are singular, some pretend to be multiple people mainly to have fun but it also gives them the ability to reinvent themselves any time they wish, some create nice and bad personas to both try to be your friend and harass you alternatively depending on their mood at the time.
Again very interesting and I'm still very impressed with your theory and have re read it now numerous times.