• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Why do people always say that "life is precious"?

M

mset68

I just want it to be over. I wish that I could drink something delicious that would painlessly stop my heart. I've tried to kill myself twice before, and both times ended up in a psych ward. Will not do that again. It's unreal to me that we aren't allowed to legally decide when we want our life to be over. It's all just drudgery. I cannot think of one thing that I'm looking forward to. I just want to be done with it all but I have to just wait for it to be over. It's like being forced to sit through a long, shitty play with bad actors, awful music and mediocre writing.

I'm constantly fantasizing about harming myself seriously. This is something I will never do. But, no...not for me. I don't want to experience any pain or fear or anxiety. I just want my life to end. There should be a way to pay someone to end your life for you.

wollie

wollie

Hi mset, you are are not alone I have felt like you and attempted to end my life twice.Im sorry you are feeling like this but things can get better I found a charity to work for and haven't looked back scince, yes I still get the urges to just fade away but there is always some thing that gives me hope, are you working at this time or are you of sick, what meds are you on, a review might be needed, keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

All the best woolie.

B

bpd2020

I am so sorry you are feeling this way. Life is very difficult when we are in such emotional pain. I do relate to that. Please keep posting. You will find a lot of support on here from people who feel the way you do.

Zaz

Zaz

I think people say life is precious because it's all we have. I think its precious because I feel like I was given a gift to live and experience the world around me. Of course it can also seem futile, pointless, fragile, infuriating and so on (all of which I experience often). Ultimately I think people just want to be happy and at peace. I struggle on every day in the hope that one day I'll experience that 🙂

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

The feeling of futility that comes of living with depression is beyond the grasp of many/most people who live without it. Platitudes feel so cold and hollow when depression has taken all that it took from us.

As for "life is precious", I'm reminded of an amusing parable I heard on a mental health podcast:

We get one shot at the buffet. Do we really want to just sit and complain about the food and say, "eventually this is all going to come out in the form of a turd"? You don't wanna focus on the whole toilet part of it, you wanna enjoy the food.
Living with depression, that's so hard to do.

Z

Zheani

I totally know how your feeling right now and it really sucks feels like you constantly in pain with your heart with how you feel right now but it’s about your mindset and try and look on some positives in your life and what you got and people who love you and try finding a little hobbie to keep your self busy mine is my little rockery I have in my garden

I

I_Was_Punished

What i hate is when people say ''life is a gift from God'' if it was a gift you'd think God would make it a bit more bearable at least, a gift is supposed to be a nice thing not something you hate and suffer with constantly. ''Life is a challenge from God'' would be more like it or even ''Life is a punishment from God''

jajingna

jajingna

God has a lot to answer for, his report card is full of fails. You can't have it both ways, can you, and argue that humans are responsible for everything that God made? Or that he made all the good stuff, and all the bad stuff is our fault. That sounds like nonsense to me, not even sure where such ideas are coming from. So let's just leave him out of it. He seems to show up only when it's convenient anyway.

It's miraculous we even exist at all. If not a miracle, then it's pretty amazing. And there's billions of us, along with everything else, a whole damn universe. I'd say that's pretty far out. But is "precious" the right word? Sometimes for some people it might be. Maybe when a child is born. I dunno, it's quite a grind for so many people.

toutatis

toutatis

Well, @mset68, obviously there are a very small number of places on the globe where euthanasia is legal, so, I'm assuming you're aware of that.

At the end of the day though, generally speaking, life is precious. It's not something that can just be whipped up in a lab and life still holds great mystery and wonder for a lot of people - which in all honesty, is possibly the one thing that saved me in my lowest times.

Fight on is my message. Have a nice sleep, wake up and have a nice relaxing cup of coffee, without any thought for anything except how freeing it is not to care. I mean, obviously you still care about things, but we must care about ourselves as well, there's nothing wrong with that. It's the mind always worrying and creating issues and pain, in my opinion - going by my own experience. And that's the essence of poor mental health, you see.