• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Why do I make noises, and find it very difficult to stop?

R

raiders4e

Hello,

This is my first post, so pardon me if I make mistakes or if I am not thorough enough.

The issue:
I make odd noises e.g. partial cough, lip noises and other strange noises (Some are VERY hard to explain). I can control these noises, although I find it very difficult to do so most of the time, and I have to make a conscious effort to stop.

About a week and a half ago I developed bronchitis about a day or two into it I developed a partial cough (habit??). I know that I'm making the noise, and it's embarrassing, but like I said it's hard for me to stop. I make the noise quite often usually several to up to 10-15 times in a minute. I have noticed that when my mind is fairly distracted that I do not make the noises. I recall having this issue since I was young, at the age of about 7 or so. I usually develop some type of noise making habit about idk... every 1 or two months.

As far as my mental health diagnosis goes I have:
General Anxiety Disorder
Social Phobia (I am still a pretty outgoing person, but I can get nervous in crowds etc.)
Depression Moderately Severe (intermittent)

Hopeful Outcome:
I really would like to figure out what the diagnosis would be so I can get help such as medicaton/counseling. Any information would be very appreciated, and thank you in advance!

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Welcome to the forum.
I think it's worth discussing this with a professional. Nobody here can really diagnose you and they'll be able to point you in the right direction.
Are you on any medication for anxiety at all? Sometimes medication can cause this sort of thing, though it's very rare.
A friend of mine used to have a nervous tic, but she got help and within 6 months it was gone.. am telling you that because I want you to know that it's very possible to overcome this.

C

Christobel

Like you, I was diagnosed with GAD at one point, and used to make a noise in my throat that didn't sound like it was coming from me at all. It was worse when I was in hospital and the nurses told people not to approach me! I definitely think it is an anxiety thing. I can't remember what medication I was put on, but when I became less distressed the noise went away.

C

Christobel

I remember now how I got rid of The Noise. My husband and I went to family counselling, and we brought it up as one of the most disturbing things in my illness. We made a pact that I would try my very best to stop making the noise. With a bit of willpower it stopped. I believe these distress noises can be brought under control with a little help.

R

raiders4e

Hello SomersetScorpio,

Thank you, for your response! I understand that this forum cannot replace a professional diagnosis, or treatment, however, I have mentioned it to both my counselor, and my psychologist and they didn't really put in a lot of effort into trying to figure it out. I need to mention it again and push for a diagnosis.

As far as medication for my anxiety I am taking Clonidine (1-3 X a day and Trazadone (At night only). I have had this problem on/off since I was adolescent which was prior to taking any medication.

R

raiders4e

Thank you for you response Christobel! Thank you for the information. I too believe I can stop making the noises with some effort and some help. I just get frustrated because I am the only person that I know that does this sort of thing. As I'm sure you know it's embarrassing and quite frustrating. Thanks for the support :)

C

Christobel

Hope you will be able to find someone to take it seriously. You are the only person I have found who has the problem apart from myself. Before medication asylums were full of people making noises, hence 'like bedlam' after the old Bethlehem Mental Hospital. I know when I started my noise I was told to go into the toilet until it stopped. Most embarrassing!

R

raiders4e

Hope you will be able to find someone to take it seriously. You are the only person I have found who has the problem apart from myself. Before medication asylums were full of people making noises, hence 'like bedlam' after the old Bethlehem Mental Hospital. I know when I started my noise I was told to go into the toilet until it stopped. Most embarrassing!
Oh jeez, I'm sorry that happened to you :(, I can only imagine. During those times it's amazing how terrible people with mental illnesses were treated, makes me sick. I don't think I'll have a problem though, hopefully I'm not just being oblivious.