• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Why do I always feel so guilty and ashamed?

L

Lostinhell

If someone calls me out on a certain thing that I think is wrong or something I should do I always feel guilty I know I shouldn’t feel like this but I can’t help it either way it messes up my thought process and my mood and I worry a lot so that makes it even worse I really hate my mind and how I am it feels like complete torture where I can’t enjoy things

PerpetuallyStuck

PerpetuallyStuck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I feel like that a lot. It is like people want us to do things their way, and agree with them. They don't let us be who we are, and be ourselves. It is difficult to be our own person. It takes a lot of courage to speak up about our beliefs, because society is really against individual thought. People always defend the way life is and don't like to hear otherwise.

It is tough keeping self belief when others bring us down, but there are definitely people that are similar and would do things like you would. It is just magnified when we are constantly around people who have a different way of life, we don't fit in that well. It doesn't mean we aren't good enough or doing the wrong thing, it is just that society expects us to fit in with its standards, even if they are bad standards.

E

Eirlys

If someone calls me out on a certain thing that I think is wrong or something I should do I always feel guilty I know I shouldn’t feel like this but I can’t help it either way it messes up my thought process and my mood and I worry a lot so that makes it even worse I really hate my mind and how I am it feels like complete torture where I can’t enjoy things
I definitely used to strongly relate to this. It's good that you recognise that it is an irrational response though. Make sure you do think through that what you're being called out on is not that important and doesn't need to ruin your day. I know this probably won't solve it entirely but it might help keep your anxiety at a lower level. If this sort of thing is really negatively affecting you, it might be worth seeking some help to deal with it to manage your anxieties if you haven't already. Hope you're doing ok :)