• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Why did you stop taking your meds?

• Thread starter LittleMissNameless
  • Start date
LittleMissNameless

LittleMissNameless

Another thread is asking that question but about a wife but it made think of more generally - why do people stop taking their meds.

I was medication resistant and went throu almost all the SSRI's before bulldozing my way through SSNRI's to finally find one that worked with my antipsychotic and after that I was maxed out on my SSNRI. I expirienced side effects that I though impaired my ability to function as a healthy 21 year old girl and had dependance form so when I quit them cold Turkey I went through withdrawl not understanding what was happening. I stayed in bed for 3 days in almost a catatonic state because of the pain and I've been very hesitant, even at my worst, to start them again because of a fear of forming dependance again or not being able to ever come off them and having to sacrifice to tolerate the side effects.

Anyone else have a reason?

G

Girl interupted

Do NOT stop taking your meds!

G

Girl interupted

I find my meds dull my intellect and ability to write. I struggle with this. it feels like it’s restricting my creativity. But I still take them, and three years later my brain has compensated.

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

Good question. Mine was because I needed a break. I was having a hard time seeing my future in a positive light. After 4 months of stopping I continued them again. Better then ever!

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Ive been on ssri, maoi, beta blocker and anti psychotic for over 20 years. Most of the times i did silly things was when i stopped my meds. Keep with them and talk regulary with docs

W

WhySoSerious

You can stop taking your medications WITH advice from a psychiatrist. Slowly if you really want to do it. I don't advocate huge amounts of medication with BPD, it tends to just suppress emotions which is the polar opposite of what DBT and MDT would suggest. As I always bang on about, the fact is there is little evidence medications for BPD (alone) are effective.

When I have stopped taking medication it is either 1) side effect related or 2) I forgot to pick up a script.

R

Rebeca1

I stopped taking my medication because it didn't work because its paranormal with me.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
STAFF NOTE
  • Safety Notice: Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

N

Nukelavee

I find my meds dull my intellect and ability to write. I struggle with this. it feels like it’s restricting my creativity. But I still take them, and three years later my brain has compensated.
I do feel a bit more dulled down and distant from things on my meds, but it doesn't seem to hinder my creative urges.

Mind you, I'm on pretty minimal doses; just enough to take the sharp edges off my emotions.

Ozymandias

Ozymandias

It's EXACTLY the same story with me... apart from the brain being able to compensate, alas. In addition, I struggle to read for very long; I develop a 'tightness' in my head and suddenly feel exhausted... I usually end up needing to lie down and, if not actually have a nap, definitely need to close my eyes for a bit. It's like I get overstimulated, and the closing off of visual sensory input helps my brain to settle back down.

This is from Venlafaxine, for what it's worth.

IvyandJade

IvyandJade

I have been on Lexapro for about 6 years now. I started at the lowest does, then eventually go all the way up to 30 ml a day. I am working now on getting down to 10ml again. I am at a point in my life where I feel I am ready to see what it is like coming off meds slowly. I am looking forward to being healthier and having a higher sexual sensitivity. I also want to have a baby, and prefer to be medication free when doing so. I was thinking today that I have the same symptoms that I had 6 years earlier but am still on medication. I do now have physical panic attack symptoms anymore, but the racing and intrusive thoughts are still there. I think that it's possible that I saw SSRIS as a way to dull the emotional pain. However, I think that experiencing the emotions and learning how to deal with them is key. I worry about how my body will react to coming off of meds. I also worry that it might make the negative thoughts worse somehow.

I

I_Was_Punished

People always bang on about how harmful smoking and drinking are, but no one ever thinks about the harm that longterm use of prescription drugs can cause. in the end i see them as the same as alcohol and cigarettes,they are all just legal drugs with dangers. i personally don't agree with the long term use of drugs. Short term use if it helps combined with therapy is different. I'm sorry to say that when people say ''i've been taking this for 20 years'' i wonder if they really think such long term use of drugs doesn't have consequences at some point? i also feel that dr's and psychiatrist use drugs as an easy way to deal with people, the drugs themselves do not get to the root cause of the problem they just change how you feel. i will probably not be popular for saying this but thats how i feel,the over reliance on drugs makes me uncomfortable

jajingna

jajingna

I stopped about four months ago. I wanted to see if I could be OK without them. Most of my life I did not take meds, but they helped during rough times. So far I've been OK.

A big change I made was eating healthier, cutting out sugar and so on. On meds I was up till 4 am most nights and sleeping till 2pm. Now it's earlier on both sides by several hours. I also ate way too much sweet stuff, craving it daily, and might have become obese with the big gut. I've lost some weight since then and my moods are not bad.

I was taking Seroquel and Zoloft. I hope not to need them again, they're kind of a drag but certainly have their benefits too.

NOT recommending this to anybody.

B

BrewersSicily

I stopped because I really struggled with the associated huge weight gain, emotional blunting and concentration difficulties.

Apathy and BPD sound like they should be polar opposites, but I manage to experience both. Like I don't care, struggle to feel anything, then boom I will randomly get a strong emotion. I am almost relieved when I actually feel.

I can only assume this is a residual effect from taking medication.