why did they ask?

L

laura-g

i have been self-harming (banging my head off walls when it gets too messed up to cope with) for years but never told anyone. yesterday my nephew was caught trying to strangle himself and admitted it wasn't the first time he had done it so my sister took him to a&e. the first thing the doctor asked her was if there was any family history of self harming and she said no.

if the doctor thought he might have been copying someone then i would rather not (at least for now) say anything but, could there be some kind of medical reason that he needs to know about it in order to help my nephew?

Angels

Angels

Well they usually ask is there any mental health problems in families, i know that my older cousin used to self harm severely but i dont think there is a self harm thing. i know that depression can rub off on families. i know that my mum has depression even though she wont admit it. To be honest alot of my family have depression but they are to damn stubborn to admit it.
It would be best if you were honest about it just in case.

Hannahbanana

Hannahbanana

I wouldn't worry about telling your family, they just ask this as routine. If your nephew has mental health problems you opening up about yours isn't going to be the deciding factor in whether or not he gets the right diagnosis or treatment. After all plenty of people don't even know if their relatives have these problems, and still get help.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
shaky Self Harm Forum 3
midnightphoenix Self Harm Forum 100
midnightphoenix Self Harm Forum 204
Astral Charmer Self Harm Forum 1
M Self Harm Forum 1