Why can't i tolerate antidepressants?

S

spacingspaces

For years now i've trying to figure out why antidepressants only work for me some of the time. Usually whn i start out on a low dose it works really well for a few months then it starts to not be as effective so i go up a dosage and then my body just can't seem to tolerate it and i get lots of physical symptoms.. etc. I know there is a period of adjustment but i've tested it and it lasts for months upon months unless i come back down to a lower dosage. But the lower dosage isn't enough. It's like my body can't tolerate it but it still seems to help with the depression and anxiety but the physical symptoms make me feel like crap. I was reading up on "seretonin syndrome" and it seems sorta like that's what's happening. I'm wondering if i could have a different underlying mental illness that's undiagnosed such as bipolar or something that isn't meant to be treated with antidepressants.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

Like with most drugs our bodies get used to the medication either that or you have side effects

Silent Death – Serotonin Syndrome- Hormones Matter

now I am not sure but I think I may have experienced a serotonin rush cant find anything regarding the serotonin rush, a few years back – i was advised by an off duty doctor to have a scan to check for any lasting damage

btw it was mirtzpran that caused this in my case

Serotonin syndrome - Wikipedia

you will find it very hard to get a doctor to diagnose this as cynical me thinks they are unlikely to admit that medication has caused it even when it happens on the very first dose as it my case.

S

spacingspaces

Like with most drugs our bodies get used to the medication either that or you have side effects

Silent Death – Serotonin Syndrome- Hormones Matter

now I am not sure but I think I may have experienced a serotonin rush cant find anything regarding the serotonin rush, a few years back – i was advised by an off duty doctor to have a scan to check for any lasting damage

btw it was mirtzpran that caused this in my case

Serotonin syndrome - Wikipedia

you will find it very hard to get a doctor to diagnose this as cynical me thinks they are unlikely to admit that medication has caused it even when it happens on the very first dose as it my case.
its mirtazapine thats causing these symptoms for me right now although it happens with every antidepressant i've been on if i increase the dose too high. It's definitely not just side effects as i have experienced side effects before and they are no where near as bad as this. I feel like a guinea pig for my psychiatrist. He just asks me a few questions, either changes my meds or ups the dosage and sends me away for another 6 weeks yet in the meantime i can't even function. I haven't left my house in a week and barely left my room.

S

spacingspaces

its mirtazapine thats causing these symptoms for me right now although it happens with every antidepressant i've been on if i increase the dose too high. It's definitely not just side effects as i have experienced side effects before and they are no where near as bad as this. I feel like a guinea pig for my psychiatrist. He just asks me a few questions, either changes my meds or ups the dosage and sends me away for another 6 weeks yet in the meantime i can't even function. I haven't left my house in a week and barely left my room.
I feel like if i mention serotinin syndrome to them they'll just brush it off but maybe they will take it seriously.

S

spacingspaces

I feel like if i mention serotinin syndrome to them they'll just brush it off but maybe they will take it seriously.
Honestly i just wanna drop dead at this point. This has been going on for about 10 years nearly. It's ruined my life and then some.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

Yeah mirtazprane it really messed me up big time and that was after only one dose. But the doc is saying that I dissociated and was confused the doc didn’t want to listen to me then or later, Infact I challenged the doc to the point where they got the book out to have a look and they agreed...

Psych’s do that is what they are there to do is medicate is my experience

my doc has stretched the 'truth' twice so no i dont think they will. but try by all means

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

it my experience sertonin syndrone was a big game changer. i dont know if you can have it for a long as you say you have. maybe research a little and see would be my take on it.

S

spacingspaces

it my experience sertonin syndrone was a big game changer. i dont know if you can have it for a long as you say you have. maybe research a little and see would be my take on it.
I haven't had serotonin syndrome for ten years. I've had mental health issues for 10 years. I'm 23 now. The serotonin syndrome (if it is that) only happens when i go too high of a dosage on any antidepressant it seems.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

yeah that is most probable so best to keep to the SSRI side of medication as the Mirtz is different can for the life of me remember.....and if you are medication sensitive then i would talk to your doc about changing

S

spacingspaces

yeah that is most probable so best to keep to the SSRI side of medication as the Mirtz is different can for the life of me remember.....and if you are medication sensitive then i would talk to your doc about changing
the thing is it happens with SSRI's too.

S

spacingspaces

the thing is it happens with SSRI's too.
The dilemma i'm having is that when they do work (and they do work sometimes but it doesn't last long) i feel great and it helps me ALOT with my mental health issues. It's the only thing that does help me when they do work.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

i think that mirtz opens the gateways and once those are opened....i will never go back on Any Anti depressents again.

i wish i could research it to find it for sure but i aint no scholar not helpful sorry

S

spacingspaces

i think that mirtz opens the gateways and once those are opened....i will never go back on Any Anti depressents again.

i wish i could research it to find it for sure but i aint no scholar not helpful sorry
I've only been on mirtazapine recently and i've had these issues before mirtazapine. It could be that i have some other undiagnosed mental illness that doesn't respond well to antidepressants.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

i do wonder if indeed medication is the quite the panacere that they are made out to be. as i a similar issue. and therefore i cant help but wonder there must be a lot of people like this. the trialling so many different meds the side affects but no improvement. cant be just you and me hey

S

spacingspaces

i do wonder if indeed medication is the quite the panacere that they are made out to be. as i a similar issue. and therefore i cant help but wonder there must be a lot of people like this. the trialling so many different meds the side affects but no improvement. cant be just you and me hey
Yeah i feel like a guinea pig but if at the end of the day they find one that works for me all the time it will be worth it for me because the little times that they have worked i felt amazing.

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

purely comes down to being more sensitive i was told being on the autistic spectrum medication effects you so much more than it would if you didnt not saying you have it but who would of known that ? apparently for me the min dose is like the max dose i just stay away from it they want to give me them i was like fuck away with that dumb shit i will just deal with my stuff antidepressents kill me internally cant feel anything and turn into a zombie

S

spacingspaces

purely comes down to being more sensitive i was told being on the autistic spectrum medication effects you so much more than it would if you didnt not saying you have it but who would of known that ? apparently for me the min dose is like the max dose i just stay away from it they want to give me them i was like fuck away with that dumb shit i will just deal with my stuff antidepressents kill me internally cant feel anything and turn into a zombie
The problem is without antidepressants i feel like absolute crap and it's nearly impossible to function. I get a lot of physical symptoms from my anxiety. I guess i just have to find the right medication and the right dosage. I am very sensitive to a lot of things so i guess it would make sense that i would be sensitive to medication too.

TiredTina

TiredTina

Admin
I’m in the same boat so I know how you feel. Exactly the same problem, the original dose stops working so they raise the dose and I can’t cope with the symptoms. I’ve been on so many over the years, virtually exhausted the list of SSRIs then Mirtapazapine which I didn’t tolerate at all, now on Venlafaxine, been on it for a year and it’s stopped working so they raised the dose and I was bouncing of the walls. Now under psychiatrist again who’s trying to decide what to do next. I saw the mh pharmacist last week and she actually mentioned serotonin syndrome. They’re now thinking about putting me on Vortioxetine.

Im also struggling badly with anxiety at the moment and, like you, I’m very sensitive to drugs, I’ve ended up at A&E twice. Reading your posts is like reading about myself.

Sorry I’m not being helpful but I wanted to reply as I totally understand what you’re going through.

S

spacingspaces

I’m in the same boat so I know how you feel. Exactly the same problem, the original dose stops working so they raise the dose and I can’t cope with the symptoms. I’ve been on so many over the years, virtually exhausted the list of SSRIs then Mirtapazapine which I didn’t tolerate at all, now on Venlafaxine, been on it for a year and it’s stopped working so they raised the dose and I was bouncing of the walls. Now under psychiatrist again who’s trying to decide what to do next. I saw the mh pharmacist last week and she actually mentioned serotonin syndrome. They’re now thinking about putting me on Vortioxetine.

Im also struggling badly with anxiety at the moment and, like you, I’m very sensitive to drugs, I’ve ended up at A&E twice. Reading your posts is like reading about myself.

Sorry I’m not being helpful but I wanted to reply as I totally understand what you’re going through.
Your reply is very helpful and i'm glad you took the time to reply because talking to people going through a similar experience is what i need right now. I mentioned serotonin syndrome today to a nurse at the clinic i go to and he dismissed it straight away and even put it down to my anxiety causing me to believe it's that. He also said i'm reading into things too much. Well what does he expect me to do? They admit that they don't have a clue why i'm reacting this way to the meds. Do you mind private chatting me because i feel like we can help each other.