• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

why can't I let this emotionally abusive relationship go?

D

deeplyhurt

I got involved (strange really close friendship w/benefits) with a guy that I fell in love with immediately... but he told me from day 1 the he is "different" than anyone I will ever meet. He has NEVER validated that our "relationship" was more than friendship... but it was definitely much more (not just according to me... actually by everyone who knows us). He has a terrible past, depression, and excessive explosive disorder. He was very difficult to get to know, and is so closed off to everyone (has almost no friends) and I am the only person who has ever been to his house. He tells me he is "meant to be alone."
We work together... he is a Personal Trainer, and helped me lose 25 pounds in 2 months (I had already lost 35).
After reading Many articles, I KNOW that I am being emotionally abused.... he threatens, ignores, is sometimes intentionally mean, etc. He is extremely stressed and when he is stressed he pushes everyone away.... I worry about him so much, but when/if I reach out, he lashes out at me. About a month ago, due to stress, he has pushed everyone away including me. He told me "don't take it personally," supposedly he is protecting me from himself (because of his excessive explosive disorder). I take being ignored very personally, especially when he doesn't even acknowledge my existence. It is SO hard to deal with because he is suppose to be supportive of me. He knows I am going thru a lot (dad just had major surgery)... but he seems completely indifferent to my feelings. It hurts so much and I still, for some reason just can't let go. Even tho he is basically killing me.
I tried to reach out to him, just to be threatened ("you and your family will wish you never met me if you contact me again."),. I have done exactly as he asked for the past month! NOT one word.... not even about being completely ignored. Tried not to take it personally... but at this point, he basically acts like he hates me.
I keep rationalizing with myself...I KNOW he cares about me.... but then I look at his actions and I am furious with him. He is not rational and it really bothers me and worries me.
Any advice on how to make myself just forget about him?
We work together, he co owns a business with my dad..... and he owes me $.... so we will inevitably be connected until he pays me off.

Mark_01

Mark_01

Hello, deeplyhurt, and welcome to the forum. Truly sorry you are having problems.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi and welcome to the forum.

You can't change him and I would just leave him alone. If you have to work with him then keep it professional but if he is abusive towards you at work as well I'd start looking for another job. You are never going to be able to forget about him while you are still working with him.

Fact is if he cared about you he wouldn't treat you the way he does. I know what it's like when you like someone and you want to convince yourself that they do care really it's just that they have issues, but really - if he liked you the way you want he wouldn't treat you that way.

Unless he chooses to deal with his issues things won't change and you can't fix him.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
V Let's talk about Borderline Personality Disorder! Mental Health Experiences 2
TooMuchPain How do you let it go? Mental Health Experiences 4
L Let's All Try To Get Along😋 Mental Health Experiences 1
hORIzonFINK210 voices want me to turn and let go Mental Health Experiences 2
D Psychiatrist refused to let me go to the toilet Mental Health Experiences 3
I I’m trying to let go, but it’s hard Mental Health Experiences 10
P dont let anyone ruin your life Mental Health Experiences 1
Hellakat Empowerment! Let go of the labels and taking back your identity. Tell us what empowers you? Mental Health Experiences 15
valleygirl I was not going to let this happen again Mental Health Experiences 14
dermild Who Let You Down Mental Health Experiences 16
C Can somebody help? I'm really worried...should I let it go? Mental Health Experiences 2
M Really struggling to let him go Mental Health Experiences 3
Burgundy Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light Mental Health Experiences 5
Fluffymum Life I just don't enjoy, children I can't raise, I want to just let it all out Mental Health Experiences 4
H Feel let down by mental health services Mental Health Experiences 10
S Will my brain let me form emotional attachments again without forcefully erasing them? Mental Health Experiences 2
prairiechick Would it not be kinder to just let me die? Mental Health Experiences 13
C Feel very let down Mental Health Experiences 10
Blue Valley Feeling really let down right now Mental Health Experiences 7
C Let's take psychiatry seriously Mental Health Experiences 10
jajingna Emotionally Immature Parents Mental Health Experiences 2
R Im emotionally tired <TW> Mental Health Experiences 1
Coolcuk Emotionally and Sexually numb Mental Health Experiences 5
C Emotionally drained at the moment Mental Health Experiences 8
Heidrun Emotionally unstable and crying Mental Health Experiences 4
Midnight.Panda Peter Pan Syndrome/Emotionally still like a kid Mental Health Experiences 7
S Becoming emotionally numb on purpose Mental Health Experiences 12
U Confused, forgetful and emotionally numb. Mental Health Experiences 2
G Want (new) emotionally close people to hurt me physically Mental Health Experiences 3
S My mom is 80 and still emotionally abuses me with body-shaming. Mental Health Experiences 2
M No one to talk to - Feeling Emotionally Unstable Mental Health Experiences 5
C Trauma, relationships, and emotionally reactive Mental Health Experiences 2
N I've been emotionally abusive, and I'd like to stop. Mental Health Experiences 6
A Emotionally abusive ex still ruining my life - help? Mental Health Experiences 32
willow003 My mother is emotionally ill and it is very hard to live around her Mental Health Experiences 5
I Feeling of being locked in a tube, unreal and emotionally benumbed Mental Health Experiences 5
T Why do I feel emotionally not alive? Mental Health Experiences 1
M Abusive father Mental Health Experiences 7
calmleaves ***TRIGGER WARNING!!! Discusses long term physical abuse and SA*** My abusive mom is forcing me to forgive and make up with my abusive brother Mental Health Experiences 2
W How to handle abusive Mother without boundaries Mental Health Experiences 2
B Abusive relationship Mental Health Experiences 5
P Need some help with staying away from abusive relationship. Mental Health Experiences 5
S Becoming abusive/relationship issue Mental Health Experiences 2
B Not sure where to put this: Abusive self talk Mental Health Experiences 6
X friends abusive ex and therapy Mental Health Experiences 0
H Haunted by abusive upbringing Mental Health Experiences 13
F Problems with abusive girlfriend Mental Health Experiences 14
E Extremely abusive spouse - mental disorder? Mental Health Experiences 4
C Abusive Therapists Mental Health Experiences 9
M Could my moodswings be caused by an abusive relationship? Mental Health Experiences 1