• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Why Can't I Be Happy?

GaryC123

GaryC123

I feel like I complain too much. But it's like I don't know how to be satisfied with life. As soon as I have nothing to complain about, I start to feel sort of miserable in a strange sense. It's weird and seems the exact opposite of how a person should normally be. What is wrong with me? What is my malfunction? Why am I like this? Why can't I be truly happy without feeling that something needs to be wrong? It's like I don't trust happiness. I'm afraid as soon as I express genuine happiness, fate will wipe the smile off my face in the most devastating way, like fate is watching me and if I am happy it will do something to change it. It's a really weird feeling I guess. :low:

S

sab1978

I’m the exact same way. My life is perfect and I still find things to be unhappy about. Rationally, I know it’s ludicrous. But the emotional part of my brain...the part that was conditioned for unhappiness in childhood...won’t relent. It is so excruciating living this way.

What was your childhood like?

GaryC123

GaryC123

I’m the exact same way. My life is perfect and I still find things to be unhappy about. Rationally, I know it’s ludicrous. But the emotional part of my brain...the part that was conditioned for unhappiness in childhood...won’t relent. It is so excruciating living this way.

What was your childhood like?
I was profoundly unhappy. I had almost no friends. I picked my nose and had all kinds of nervous tics and habits that just repelled the other kids from me, so I was pretty lonely. I branched out a bit in college and things seemed to turn around a little until I had my first episode of psychosis at age 24. Then everything went really down-hill really quick--like the rug was pulled out from under me. It was pretty devastating.

Now I'm a 53 year old bachelor who lives with his parents and receives a modest amount of disability income. For now, I have enough to get by and few worries, because of living with my parents, so I think I should be happy. But part of me also realizes this happiness is very tenuous at best and could fall apart at any time should something happen to them. So I feel like fate is just waiting around the corner and if it catches me genuinely smiling, it will come down hard. :low:

R

rawlinsc

I don't know if I have ever truly been happy. I would like more money, a career, and a relationship but I don't know if that would make me happy.

nutsie

nutsie

Please do CBT therapy

You must try change negatif thought. You can do

Ladyfair

Ladyfair

My sister tells me all the time I will never be happy. She may be right.😣