• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Why be open on mental health?

U

user19257

I don't know anyone. Isn't any discussions on mental health a private topic to openly address?

U

user19257

Why the cold shoulder people? I think forums are malicious.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
@user19257 hi and welcome to the forum.
People come on these forums as most cannot talk openly to their peers about their MH problems as this kind of illness has such stigma surrounding it. In the UK over the last few months there was a big advertising campaign to get people to talk about their MH. But due to the virus that has stopped.
On this forum we are anonymous so people can talk freely and openly about their problems or anything else that they would like in the chill out section .
I do hope you continue to post and as more people come on during the day I’m sure you’ll have more replies. Unfortunately we do tend to be quieter on a nighttime as we are uk based

Antimatter

Antimatter

Why the cold shoulder people? I think forums are malicious.
Hi and welcome. We are a friendly bunch. Just seen your post, was a little confused by the topic. Stick around and give it a chance 👍

C

CarlaNorford

Because it helps, opening up actually helps. If you feel like opening up to anyone specific in your life, go ahead and follow that instinct. Of course, open up only to people you love and cherish the most. I did this with only a few people in my life, two I simply cared about and two who I really love from the bottom of my heart. And honestly, I've been having fewer and fewer triggers associated with my past trauma. Talking on forums likely also helps a lot as you can tell your story in full without the risk of anyone knowing who you are, the anonymity of it all helping most open up completely.

N

natalie

It is most vital that we talk about mental health, so that we don't let any mental health issues or triggering issues which can cause mental health to then bottle up, bottling up mental health is not such a clever idea.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I would also add that most treatment for mental health issues takes place individually and in private. Because of this it can feel very isolating.
Having a place where people can come to discuss their shared conditions provides a sense of community and camaraderie. Because mental health challenges can be such a huge part of our lives it is incredibly valuable to find other people who can relate.

U

user19257

Sorry, didn't know which thread. It was only confusion. . .So, if your anonymous then my question is will that then be safe to discuss mental health right in the open? I thank everybody for there support. One of my closet family members says that it's dangerous for some reason to talk about mental health.

P

Princess Zelda

I feel like it helps me a lot to talk about how I'm feeling. I'm usually not very open, but with my family and on here I'm able to talk about my problems and get advice. When it comes to mental health problems, I think the world should be more accepting and open minded because a lot of times people just refuse to even believe that it exists. One person who helped me feel comfortable enough to get help was a woman who shared her experiences with Schizophrenia online. At the time I was told I had Schizophrenia (later found out it was a misdiagnosis). But this still helped me to feel less alone. I think it's important for people to know that they're not alone and that getting help is possible.

Antimatter

Antimatter

One of my closet family members says that it's dangerous for some reason to talk about mental health.
I would argue that it is more dangerous NOT to talk about mental health. Zelda has pointed out how it helps her. It helps others, it helps me.

This forum is anonymous and open as you make it. There is no way I would say half of the stuff I do to actual people, I even use it as a beating board to flush out passing thoughts.

You can ask for advice, learn from and support others. Very importantly, you are constantly reminded that we are not alone in the struggle. And more..

Use the forum as a collective and as it was intended. We come here for it's positive, because we already have enough negatives.

F

FlowerBox

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It's definitely helped me a lot. It's good to explore your troubles instead of ignoring them but it's hard to do that alone. I agree with Antimatter it is more dangerous to keep it all in..it's nice to hear other perspectives from people who don't know you personally, so they don't have an idea already of how you are, if that makes sense? That's what I like about this :)

JessisMe

JessisMe

Sorry, didn't know which thread. It was only confusion. . .So, if your anonymous then my question is will that then be safe to discuss mental health right in the open? I thank everybody for there support. One of my closet family members says that it's dangerous for some reason to talk about mental health.
In many places there is a stigma against people who have a mental health diagnosis: other people without a diagnosis might be afraid of them, discriminate against them, mock or ridicule them, etc... Some people would stop being friends with other people who have been diagnosed with a mental illness. Sometimes even family might reject them or people at work. I’m sure people have even lost jobs or not been offered jobs due to mental illness. This might be the way in which talking about mental health is dangerous. That is why it’s good that sites like this exist so we can talk about mental health issues anonymously among people who understand and will not stigmatize or discriminate against us as a result of us sharing this very important shared part of our lives.

J

jamraspberry

Because it helps, opening up actually helps. If you feel like opening up to anyone specific in your life, go ahead and follow that instinct. Of course, open up only to people you love and cherish the most. I did this with only a few people in my life, two I simply cared about and two who I really love from the bottom of my heart. And honestly, I've been having fewer and fewer triggers associated with my past trauma. Talking on forums likely also helps a lot as you can tell your story in full without the risk of anyone knowing who you are, the anonymity of it all helping most open up completely.
Same here :)

J

jamraspberry

I don't know anyone. Isn't any discussions on mental health a private topic to openly address?
I used to think like this for about three years, I bottled up everything and my anxiety and depression was toxic for myself and others. Then I decided enough was enough, I was open about things a few years ago on a few forums and my depression decreased, I started to see hope. My anxiety is still an inner battle today and I get negative thoughts but I don't attempt self harm anymore since opening up. It's a daily struggle.