• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Why are some people obsessed with plastic surgery?

G

greenpea

I have a friend who is obsessed with plastic surgery, she even went to Korea to get a nose job. After that she had a boob job and lip implants. She is also a product junkie, she buys a lot of beauty products for her skin. I don't understand why she does that she's pretty without all the surgeries and she has good skin so applying too much creams and lotions is unnecessary. Is being too vain a symptom of Narcissism?

Gajolene

Gajolene

I think it may be more of a self esteem and negative self image issue at the root of her trying to achieve some kind of perfect body. Does she seem like she thinks she is better than everybody or more of I need/have to fix this type of personality?
I was thinking the other day if I could afford it would I do it, I think I might but not anything extream more of an anti aging to rid wrinkles and aging type of thing.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I don't know if it's narcissism.
It could be body dysmorphic disorder.

T

TheRedStar

If I could afford it, I'd have cosmetic surgery in a heartbeat. Vanity? No, I don't think so... in Western society, the message that looks are everything, and heavy pressure to feel sh*t about being as nature intended you to be, bombards people from all angles. Ergo, I think more people getting more fixated on the looks of both themselves and others (which then adds to the pressure on those other individuals) is not only very simple causation but - in actual fact - the desired outcome; after all, cosmetics companies, plastic surgeons, and gyms rely on people being unhappy with their appearance... fu*king parasites nourishing themselves on human misery, if you ask me - I actually believe levies should be imposed on those industries (plus the fashion trade, with its ridiculous standards regarding female beauty) in order to subsidise NHS treatment for the human collateral damage of our society's shallowness.

This is why I'm perfectly happy with NHS money being spent on giving women breast enlargements... if we as a country are unwilling to do anything about the promotion of the message that bigger=better when it comes to boobs (i.e. finally stand up to Murdoch and tell him he can stick Page 3... and all the other pages of his right-wing, tubthumping, propaganda rag for single figure IQ'd knuckle-draggers, for that matter; fu*k The Sun!), then I think we can damn well pay for the misery that it causes. It's just so sad that many women end up wanting to do this in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

natalie

Hi,

To be honest, I'm the sort of character who has never, ever, bothered with even the mere thought of plastic surgery. I remember once, several years back, somebody telling me as a point of reference, that I'm attractive, I felt oh, I never would have realised, and in fact, on that note, and with very happy body confidence too, I have never looked in the sense of even wishing for plastic surgery. Plus, although I have been unwell and under the weather for this week, normally, I'll workout on a daily, regular basis.

Even today, I wouldn't even consdier yet, a thought of plastic surgery, not to my mind, at any rate.

Natalie.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I have a friend who is obsessed with plastic surgery, she even went to Korea to get a nose job. After that she had a boob job and lip implants. She is also a product junkie, she buys a lot of beauty products for her skin. I don't understand why she does that she's pretty without all the surgeries and she has good skin so applying too much creams and lotions is unnecessary. Is being too vain a symptom of Narcissism?
I think a lot of people sleepwalk into so-called personalty disorders. Because there are too many of them. I think it is society.

G

greenpea

I think it may be more of a self esteem and negative self image issue at the root of her trying to achieve some kind of perfect body. Does she seem like she thinks she is better than everybody or more of I need/have to fix this type of personality?
I was thinking the other day if I could afford it would I do it, I think I might but not anything extream more of an anti aging to rid wrinkles and aging type of thing.
She is very conscious of what people would think of her. For example when we go clubbing she wears a lot of make up and sometimes go overdressed. I remember asking her to dress down a little but she told me that she dress like that on purpose. She doesn't act like a QueenB though, she just loves attention. She reminds me of celebrities who go overboard with plastic surgery. Some celebrities are like that too right? They do a lot of plastic surgery to get more attention..

Last edited:
bulbie

bulbie

It all roots from psychological disturbance, IMHO. There are people who do things to get attention. But the question that then needs to be asked is WHY do they need that attention.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

If I could afford it, I'd have cosmetic surgery in a heartbeat..
Seriously?! What would you get done? I think you're a handsome guy, i've seen your photos.

Anywho, saying this, i'd get a boob reduction done. G cup + Gravity = where did my nipples go? :LOL:

bulbie

bulbie

Seriously?! What would you get done? I think you're a handsome guy, i've seen your photos.

Anywho, saying this, i'd get a boob reduction done. G cup + Gravity = where did my nipples go? :LOL:
Holy cow. You must have horrendous back problems!

G

greenpea

If I could afford it I would have liposuction.
Liposuction will make you look better and healthy too. It's ok to have it as long as you establish a healthy lifestyle and not rely on it to be fit.

G

greenpea

If you look good already there's no need for plastic surgery don't you think?