• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Why are personal budgets not used more in mental health?

F

firemonkee57

People with mental health problems are less likely than other eligible groups to use personal budgets, which give them direct control over selecting and paying for their own support. But when they do have them, the money is spent in imaginative ways. People tend to select things like gym sessions to manage their health, IT to build social networks and sleep-in support to alleviate mental health problems like paranoia. So why has personalisation not really taken off in mental health?

At the National Development Team for Inclusion, where I am chief executive, our analysis of Department of Health documents shows that 80% of personal budget spend is outside the public sector, while 80% of traditional spend is on NHS services. Crucially, people report (through the national POET survey and elsewhere) better mental health as a result of personal budgets.

Why are personal budgets not used more in mental health? | Social Care Network | The Guardian

Some of us need/want social care support without the anxiety/stress involved with the logistics of having a personal budget.

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
personal budgets are seen by mental health workers as part of privatisation and theres institutional resisttance

F

firemonkee57

Yes-it does have the whiff of privatisation about it.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i don't agree with privatisation but i do agree with peter hutchins that right wing reporter that nhs staff see patients as something to get rid of and that won't change to the money really does follow the patient

Theres the question of how money will even start to follow the patient people will have to be assessed

R

Rose19602

Some of us need/want social care support without the anxiety/stress involved with the logistics of having a personal budget.

Does any money get spent helpfully on people with long term mental illness if they don't opt for personal budgets?

What do people with long term MI receive from the NHS, other than medication and a 6 monthly visit to the psych? Anything else?

How expensive would it be to get the care you think you need and would a personal budget cover it or offer better provision than you get now?

Would there be any help available with budgeting and resourcing services?

It sounds like a good idea on paper......

Last edited by a moderator:
F

firemonkee57

I know there are brokers but it too seems like such an involved business with a lot of technical descriptors re their role. That kind of thing doesn’t really make me feel less anxious
To put it simply I want to be helped with x and y without being confronted with a load of technical mumbo jumbo from brokers or the budget process itself.

I did, with pressure, try for self directed support but the social worker pulled the plug when he found out I'd have to fund the £92 a week myself