Why are people with bipolar treated like children?

B

bitbetterta

Because they accept thats the way it is.
Everything is bipolar just as all roads leads to Rome, apart from the M25 that just goes round in circles.

This is getting too deep

Sorry to have wasted your valuable time.

CaravanHoliday

CaravanHoliday

I think you may have gone a little too deep for me, I'm afraid.

At a glance, I want to say this is the issue where everyone blames all your moods and reactions on bipolar (or any other mental illness) instead of accepting it as a justified response to their own sh***y behaviour? Yeah, I get that a lot.

dermild

dermild

It might only be fair to ask why you expect others to accept the behaviors that come with being Bipolar.

Why would anyone accept an explanation as an excuse?

My girlfriend was diagnosed as Bipolar. When we met, she was on Lithium, and it wasn't working out very well. She was still having some problems and exhibiting some violent behavior.

On my side of the equation, I had just escaped a relationship where my ex [diagnosed BPD] was being abusive with me on many levels. Ending up in another situation where I'd be abused and afraid was unacceptable.

I gave her a choice, after she started destroying her boom box and screamed, "It's mine!" You can keep doing what you're doing, but you can go do it while you live with your mother and stay away from me. Or, if you want to OWN your issues, then you can stay, and I am willing to help you.

She chose the latter, and owned her problem. I helped her by taking her to her Psych and talking about what was going on. She changed the meds, and it was a success.

Here we are, 18 years later. I don't treat her like a child, because she's not behaving like one.

Having a problem and then throwing the label at others does not mean that others have to accept it. Otherwise, I would have just felt sorry for my ex for her BPD, and continued to stand there while she was doing what she was doing, until I was dead.

Before having expectations of others, consider having expectations for yourself.

CaravanHoliday

CaravanHoliday

Having a problem and then throwing the label at others does not mean that others have to accept it. Otherwise, I would have just felt sorry for my ex for her BPD, and continued to stand there while she was doing what she was doing, until I was dead.

Before having expectations of others, consider having expectations for yourself.
I'm not sure how you keep doing it, but once again you've given me a lot to go away and reflect on. Thanks.

Q

Queenie

If you have bipolar or the moment you have been diagnosed, is the moment you are not allowed to have an emotion or feeling. You are not allowed to react in a human way for anything or they blame it on the bipolar and think you have a mood swing. Doctors think that your physical aliment are all in your head and that nasty neighbour who is harassing you (or any other shit that is happening) is all in your head and you must be paranoid...........NO one listens to you and thinks you are talking out of your asshole all the time. Nurses piss you off intentionally get an reaction to they can write you up as manic. No one takes you seriously and no one will employ you.

Last edited:
CaravanHoliday

CaravanHoliday

If you have bipolar or the moment you have been diagnosed, is the moment you are not allowed to have an emotion or feeling...
Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear all that. Although I have to say I'm concerned to hear that nurses are trying to annoy you deliberately?

I've only been diagnosed with BPD for a few months, and Bipolar for a few weeks now, and already I'm experiencing some of this. Before my bipolar diagnosis, I had an on-call GP tell me I was imagining my bipolar symptoms because "BPD can do that" (I went from 5 months of severe depression into a 2 week high and had started crashing again).

No one takes you seriously and no one will employ you.
I'm not sure where you live, but in the UK it's illegal for any employer to ask you about mental or physical health issues before a job offer has been made. After that, it's up to you if you wish to tell them, but if you do and you notice a change in behaviour or feel discriminated against there are safeguards and laws in place to help you. They're not perfect, but a hell of a lot better than they were even 10 years ago.

Last edited:

6ofusathome

Interesting because when I was at my lowest I wanted some to just come rescue me, hold me, protect me and baby me. I was very high functioning and yet VERY depressed and dealing with a lot of hallucinations. The very thing I wanted most and never got was someone to just smother me with help and care and hypothetical head patting.

NeedHaldol

NeedHaldol

One of the times I was hospitalized I flipped out on a counsellor because I thought he was laughing at me.

They called security on me and held me down on the floor in a special room and told me that I was getting haldol. They told me to choose if I would take it or they would be forced to inject me.

I took the pill.

Now looking back I realize that was my illness. Almost all bad shit that has happened to me was because I was mentally ill.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Bipolar Forum 1
C Bipolar Forum 5
Azelka Bipolar Forum 4
Sadkittygirl1928 Bipolar Forum 5
Azelka Bipolar Forum 1