• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

Why are my fight or flight symptoms lasting longer and longer?

A

AnthonyA100

Im a 32 year old male and I've been battling this for years. Why does it seem my flight or fight response is taking longer and longer to subside. Ive been having panic attacks and depression for years, I know all about the biology behind it with hormones and nervous systems. I seem to be having spells more frequently and longer lasting with very bizarre physical symptoms as well as waves of panic and hopelessness. Ive been experiencing Brain zaps, like a surge of panic starting from the back of my head that seems to travel down my back to my toes, flush red hot face, eyes feel burning when closed, sore upper neck, jumping at random sounds when I try to relax and constant ringing in my ears, throat feels weird like I just got done swimming in a lake for hours, its hard to describe that one, muscle spasms, insomnia that only allows me to sleep for a couple hours at a time, sometimes when Im finally about to pass out I suddenly twitch and jerk and jump up awake and then can't fall asleep again for hours. I have random acute spells of irritability and extreme emotion that seems to be overreactive, for example watching a movie where it is slightly sad for a minute I will actually tear up, and then I realize I can't fight that feeling and know im over actively perceiving it. I have made significant changes to my diet and I know about what to eat and what to avoid, Ive been under unbearable stress for years with many different life choices and situations as a factor, I do believe I'm at a vulnerable disposition to inherit the genetic side of the susceptibility. My real question is why does it seem to be taking weeks for these symptoms to subside, and also bizarre that they seem to get extremely worse after working out at the gym with weight training. how long is this going to last and is there possible physical underlying issues?

calypso

calypso

Admin
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that you are susceptible to this and that is causing most of it. You have written in the PTSD section of the forum, are you suffering from PTSD? That could be a cause of this and you not being able to express your feelings.

Have you been taught any techniques for dealing with this? MIND (look them up) do a whole range of techniques I think. Have you tried therapy also to get to the root of what is going on with you. This is happening for a reason and you need to find that out.

:welcome: to the forum

C

Chris Walken

I know all about the biology behind it with hormones and nervous systems ..... I have made significant changes to my diet and I know about what to eat and what to avoid ..... I do believe I'm at a vulnerable disposition to inherit the genetic side of the susceptibility ..... How long is this going to last and is there possible physical underlying issues?

Where did you gain all this information? Google? Have ye approached a GP?

A

AnthonyA100

Yes,

Where did you gain all this information? Google? Have ye approached a GP?
ive been independently studying these issues for over ten years, and ive been through cognitive behavioral therapy, also met with multiple doctors and psychiatrists, ive been diagnosed with PTSD and bipolar 2, I believe that most prescriptions just mask most of the real problem. so im curious to why this is becoming worse with bizarre symptoms that I can't seem to correlate to what's going on with me.

C

Chris Walken

Nope. Nor can I correlate that stuff with PTSD. I've made no great studies of the condition. Just going on what I've 'seen' from having lived with it for decades. And, of course, the odd anecdote from others.

But, no; Those 'new' symptoms ye speaking of just don't fit. Do they?

Might it be possible to approach a new GP. Preferably one who hasn't yet got ye medical records to hand. Describe the symptoms to them, in isolation, and see what they think?

Alternately; Carry on with ye googling. Only, approach it directly from the symptoms. Like, look up " Sore Eyes ~ Causes ".

One other thing: The bit about the gym? That resonated. If I ever have to sum up PTSD in a sentence? For a layman to grasp what's going on with me? I tell them:

" It's like my Adrenalin valve has cracked open. "

See what I'm saying? Dunno. It's just the thought of all that up pumping activity in the gym.

Horses are rugged and walked, after a race. Have you no regimen for allowing things to settle, before ye hit the streets, flooding with what ever chemicals all that lifting and stuff releases?

I find it can often help to pick at little bits of an overwhelming scenario.