• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Why antidepressants dont work

geekchic182

geekchic182

I'm constantly researching the effects of anti-depressants because I'm determined to do everything in my power to recover, i came across an interesting article a couple of days ago

http://www.psycheducation.org/

i remember reading something about the placebo effect- a lot of recovery from mental illnesses comes from conscious confidence in recovering in mild cases. I also hate the side effects of anti-depressants! and the fact that they are so generally and easily prescribed.

K

Kate31

have helped me...

tried 7 diff meds and the 8th one is working for me.... have always been sceptical of meds but last year i tried every other avenue in priory and nothing helped me sleep except meds - i do believe though that fr many depressions they don't work but in severe depression they can be life-saving...

K

Kate31

Agree

I totally agree that meds alone can never be the answer -
for me it's a comb of meds/therapy/light-box/exercise/high energy diet/journaling....

am a little hesistant to accept the tolerance theory as have a good friend who is almost 60 and has been on the same meds for years which are still working for her.

Does this mean that even conditions like epilepsy, asthma and the like would have to keep requiring more and more higher doses too? My husband is asthmatic and has been on the same meds for years.

My atypical antyipsychotics will need to be replaced when a better drug comes out but my psych has reassured me that my venlafaxine 225 (been same since april'08 will remain working at this dose..:unsure::confused:

Truthfully, the thought of having to try another meds is pretty scary really!