• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Why am I so lost in my life?

N

nick_da_beast

I am a 20 year old guy in my 2nd semester at a college away from home. I chose this place because I wanted to experience something different and my parents and I agreed that it would be good for me. I was initially homesick, but I got over it and I have adjusted to my new life within the first month or two. Needless to say, I have not really enjoyed my experience so far. I have made a few friends. Spending time with them is the only part I can actually say I enjoyed to a certain extent. Although I am enrolled in the program of my choice, I can't say that I like it. Switching programs is not an option, as there nothing else that I like, while this program is tolerable. I have had trouble with my time management and study skills, and it reflects in my grades. A 70% average may not be the end of the world, but I know I am capable of better and I expect more of myself. I have no motivation to do anything about it, and I don't see the point in trying anymore. I have not taken up any extracurricular activities as I have no interest in most things, even things that I used to be interested in. I feel as if I am simply "going through the motions" in my life. I have no purpose in life, no reason to live, It's all meaningless. Don't worry, I'm not suicidal, though I have always viewed suicide as a potential option. What am I doing here in college? Why am I going through this just so I can suffer through 40+ years of work after I graduate? I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I don't know what to do

BillFish

BillFish

I am a 20 year old guy in my 2nd semester at a college away from home. I chose this place because I wanted to experience something different and my parents and I agreed that it would be good for me. I was initially homesick, but I got over it and I have adjusted to my new life within the first month or two. Needless to say, I have not really enjoyed my experience so far. I have made a few friends. Spending time with them is the only part I can actually say I enjoyed to a certain extent. Although I am enrolled in the program of my choice, I can't say that I like it. Switching programs is not an option, as there nothing else that I like, while this program is tolerable. I have had trouble with my time management and study skills, and it reflects in my grades. A 70% average may not be the end of the world, but I know I am capable of better and I expect more of myself. I have no motivation to do anything about it, and I don't see the point in trying anymore. I have not taken up any extracurricular activities as I have no interest in most things, even things that I used to be interested in. I feel as if I am simply "going through the motions" in my life. I have no purpose in life, no reason to live, It's all meaningless. Don't worry, I'm not suicidal, though I have always viewed suicide as a potential option. What am I doing here in college? Why am I going through this just so I can suffer through 40+ years of work after I graduate? I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I don't know what to do
Sorry mate just butting in, but your forum name is I think, one of the funniest I've seen on here:LOL:

Kerome

Kerome

Well it's 40 years of work if you are lucky! One has to factor in job seeking, redundancy, time between jobs, career break, there maybe not being any jobs for a while and so on.

But basically my advice would be to not look too far ahead, not to spend too much time thinking about how meaningless it is. Everything is meaningless, but conversely everything has the same meaning and is meaningful. Two sides of the same coin. And learn meditation, or mindfulness.

nonotme

nonotme

fuck mate @ 20 you should be out there, giving it some and enjoying shit.....

just take a year out shill, see some bands, smoke some weed, have some fun with the ladies..... there's time to stress later on...............

FriendsAreFriends

FriendsAreFriends

Dear friend.... The fine thing with choises in life is that however old you are (I am 44) you can always reconsider them. You have a plan...and you find a better course of action...and so on. Finaly you will find out who you really are. It is also possible to make a living out of a hobby or something you are really passionate about. Best of luck! Kenneth.

K

Kristen800

Nick, I feel the way you describe all the time. I'm almost 20 and I'm lost as all hell. I don't know where I'm going to college, I have no life, no job, no volunteer communities I'm in--nothing. I'm in limbo until they find me a Residential place to go to soon hopefully. So I totally get the feelings you're describing. You're not alone.

R

Russelk664

Hi Nick,

Just to add, I know exactly how you feel, although I have a job, I truly hate it. So essentially feels like I don't have much of a life either, mainly because there is no career path for me to follow, and just have no idea what to do!

Keep your head up, and dop what you enjoy, try to make something of it. As someone else said, its always nice to get into something your passionate about, even it it takes a while to do so. :)