• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

why am i so hard on myself

K

Kloepfie

lately i have been having a really hard time not getting down on myself. this is especially bad during hockey, i am a goalie and whenever i let in a goal i beat my self up really bad and end up playing bad. even when i have good games i feel like they were not good enough. this isn't just in sports though its pretty much all aspects of my life. i also have absolutely no motivation and don't enjoy the things i used to love. i really only have fun when i am drunk. can anyone give me some advice to get through this.

F

foreigngirl

I used to do this to... You are over thinking and only hurting yourself, 1) Some times you need to stop thinking, if you over think it will most likely lead to depression. It is hard but just try focusing on an object in the room or day dream 2) You need to take all your disappointment and train yourself to use that energy to think of how you can improve. For example if you miss a goal use that disappointment to spike your attention, tell yourself that next time you wont miss it and focus your mind on only the game.

The most useful mindset to be in is the present moment so take advantage of it... you can only get better at things by focusing on getting better rather than kicking yourself down to get there.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
lately i have been having a really hard time not getting down on myself. this is especially bad during hockey, i am a goalie and whenever i let in a goal i beat my self up really bad and end up playing bad. even when i have good games i feel like they were not good enough. this isn't just in sports though its pretty much all aspects of my life. i also have absolutely no motivation and don't enjoy the things i used to love. i really only have fun when i am drunk. can anyone give me some advice to get through this.
:welcome: to the forum

Have you got anyone in rl to talk to about how you feel at all? I think that would be a good way to start, juswt to let someone know. It could be a family member or a friend, just talk to someone if you can.

Do you know whether anything might of triggered how you feel right now? Something happening?

It's early in the morning for most of the users at the moment. Hopefully soon you will get some more decent answers.

Marliee x

dubblemonkey

dubblemonkey

hmmm...

I bet that you are the best 'goalie' ...for miles around.

and to be perhaps the only person in the team that...'ultimately' decides whether the team wins or loses!

...the game is chaos and very random...

but in the net ?...the game is very simple.

you certainly are very hard on yourself.

you seem to live on another level to those around you...

and enough alcohol will temporarily make you forget the things that happen on the field and in your life.

something has made you desperate to 'perform'...

something has made you ok about not performing....

...and that something is the alcohol.

but this is merely a symptom to what really makes you.

sometimes such a symptom is a signal for you to
take on 'less' responsibility...and I mean more than just the hockey.

lv, dm